Multifunction Wiper Switch Detent

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Got in my '98 the other day, and the windshield washer didn't work. I had a suspicion it was the steering column multi-function switch, not sure why, it just felt funny last time I switched from low to high beams and back. Granted I so seldom use high beams, it could just be that.

Anyway I suspected the multi-function lever, pried the end cap off of it, sprayed some solvent into it, and unscrewed the screw in the end of it behind that cap, which revealed nothing and seemed a dead end so I screwed it in again. The windshield washer didn't immediately work but I had other things to do and let it sit for a day.

Come back today and the windshield washer works again, but there are now no detents (notches when you turn it) like there used to be, switching from timed wiper interval to low or high wiper rate.

It works fine but eerily smooth, no feedback what position it's in.

Is there a trick to putting it back together a certain way if the screw was taken out? It seems odd that the front washer was the issue but now it works but the wiper detent is gone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Multi-Function switches starting at $20 for a NEW one on Ebay w/ free shipping.

LINK: F87Z13K359AA in eBay Motors | eBay

I didn't notice any difference in quality or operation between the Ebay offering I purchased, and the Rock Auto one that went bad after 5 - 6 years and I removed.

J_C - Lots of functions going through that one switch... You've been on the forum long enough that you know the MFS is a known weak link and prone to failure to the point of becoming a commonly accepted replacement part on a Gen 2 Ex.

Although I am adventurous, usually accept a challenge of taking something apart and fixing it, and try and save a few bucks whenever possible, the MFS is something I wouldn't want to mess around with for fear of shorting out the electrical system, or worse...

Your mileage may vary ;-)

Yeah but it works. If I knew for sure that it was why my windshield washer wasn't working then I'd go ahead and replace it but I'm not going to the trouble if all that's missing now are two little tactile feelings when I turn it. Heh, maybe if I take that magic screw out again, those will come back too.

Those switches are quite fragile and a common failure point. I'd just replace it. If you take that screw out again it may stop working again.

Should be a spring and ball that work as the detent. Gonna bet you lost the ball/spring.

^ Hmm, then they're probably floating around in the big glob of grease that was/is in it. I was a little surprised how much grease there was.

Now I find that sometimes when I use turn signals, I'm accidentally turning the wipers on without that first detent in the rotation of the knob. Grrr, guess I'm taking it apart as much as I can, flushing some grease out to see if the loose parts are in there. I hate to have to replace this for that little issue but ultimately I may, once I get a dozen or two other things off my plate, lol.

To finish up this topic, a few months later I was taking my floor mats out to clean them and found a spring and metal tube with a solid end on it, that were part of that multi function switch and apparently fly out if you take out that screw behind the end cap on it.

I put those two pieces back in and it worked fine again.

Back