• Register Today It's free!

Washer not Washin'...FIXED IT!!

RickToro

Reaction score
City, State
Woodridge, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
98 XLT, no front or rear washer. Wipers fine, washer pump fine, fuse fine. Some voltage was going to the pump from the multi-function switch but it was very low. I looked for a relay but the manual shows no relay in the power distribution box...BUT.. there is an auxiliary relay box behind the passenger headlight near the air intake. There are four relays there. They were all dirty and corroded so I replaced them all for about $40.00. All is well now with the washers...BUT.. about a week ago my four wheel drive stopped working (before I replaced the relays). I have the 4wheel high/low switch. When I first start the truck, both 4wheel lights (high&low) flash 6 times. About every 5 minutes they flash again 6 times. When I switch to four wheel high or low nothing happens, no light or anything so it's not working at all. Any ideas? :usa:

Washer motor - fixed!!

I used this to fix my 98 Eddie Bauer. Those relays are hidden in plain view.
Steps:
- remove the top of the air box
- remove the mass airflow sensor and intake adapter along with the airbox top
- leave the bottom of the airbox installed

Notes: There are three relays in the 98 4x4 Eddie Bauer 5L model. I think one of the relays drives the key-fob radio lock/unlock function as well.

I was able to get my hand in there to replace the relays. The relays are a dealer item these days, but the part number is listed at most major autoparts stores in their database.

-Graham

I think the one you're talking about is Auxiliary Relay Box 1. That one contains 6 relays; 2 large and 4 small. Two of the small ones are for the washer (one forward, one reverse), and the other two are the Fog Lamp and Fog Lamp Isolation relays. Of the two big ones, one is the high-speed blower relay (for the A/C blower), and the other is for Automatic Ride Control (don't know what this is, I'm thinking air suspension, don't have this so I can't say.)

Back