• Register Today It's free!

washing engine bay?

panteramatt

Reaction score
City, State
south jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Mountaineer V8
Im about to change the plugs in my wifes mounty and the engine bay is really dirty. Any tips or things to avoid/use for this? Will I run into any problems washing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get an air compressor and blow the dirt away,

Did that already but still looks dirty.

You should be safe with a couple of sweeps of the pressure washer at the car wash. I wouldn't direct it onto the top of the engine for any length of time but just a couple of quick back and forth sweeps to blow the dust off. Not sure what the Ex manual says buy my Focus manual actually recommends that you clean the engine periodically. Though it does say to do it with the engine off and cold so you don't risk cracking something. I was always told to do it with the engine on, and of course since you drove to the car wash it's going to be hot, so in case water gets in somewhere it shouldn't you reduce the risk of not being able to start it back up. I suspect that's the bigger risk than cracking the block or a head so I'll still do it hot and running.

I unhooked battery, I sprayed purple degreaser, then a garden hose quickley, then I got a gas power leaf blower and dried out compartment well.

I unhooked battery, I sprayed purple degreaser, then a garden hose quickley, then I got a gas power leaf blower and dried out compartment well.

Oh man, then you're washing all that engine gunk onto your driveway and into the storm sewer or to be absorbed in your yard. Bad news. At least the car washes claim they filter and/or recycle the wash water...

Have done the same thing couple of times. Normal car wash soap/water, scrub clean, hose it off. Use compressed air, leaf blower, etc. Close hood, start engine, run for couple minutes. Open hood, let sun dry for an hour.

Follow TSB on plug removal.

Back