water in foglights

eXplorerchic

Elite Explorer Babe
Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Well went mudd riding tonight and found out that one of my fog lights is cracked and now it has muddy watter all in it. Is there any way to get the water out and clean them inside. Soon I'll need to get another foglight, anyone know how much they cost? An OEM one.
Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

;) Thanks,
Allie "eXplorerchic"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never like the stock fogs, round or rectangular. I say ditch the stock fogs and find some aftermarket ones that fit in the stock location. In the long run, it will end up cheaper and you'll have much better light.

Good luck!

yeah may do that, but for now no one knows how to get the water out??

no....

You'll need to remove your foglight assembly. To do this, get out a socket set (I can't remember the exact socket size off the top of my head) and get on your back under your front bumper. There should be a nut at the top-rear of your fog assembly. First, remove the plug from the back of the harness, then remove the nut from the assembly. Poke out the bolt sticking out and be sure to catch the plastic piece that goes in between the assembly and the mounting bracket as it falls. Slip the assembly out of the hole in the bumper by turning it sideways. After it's out, twist the bulb to remove it (be sure not to touch the glass if you want to reuse it. Set it on a clean towel). Dump and fling out any water you can, then set it upside down for a few hours to get out any that might be left. Installation is reverse of removal.

Thanks, it about time someone had an answer for me :p :D
Thanks for the info AdamsGuitar!

It doesn't matter if you clean it out or not.... the airtight seal is broken now. Eventually moisture will get in there and burn out your fog light anyways. May as well get a new OEM one like I did.

From the Ford dealer it will cost you about $80 or so. But go to eBay and type in 'explorer fog' and you can find the exact same thing for like $30-$40 less. That's where I got mine.....

After replacing several bulbs, I got tired of the factory lamps, and I ended up buying some foglamps from Autozone. Aftermarket lamps are the way to go since the stock ones would do nothing but crack and kill bulbs.

Originally posted by jjue
After replacing several bulbs, I got tired of the factory lamps, and I ended up buying some foglamps from Autozone. Aftermarket lamps are the way to go since the stock ones would do nothing but crack and kill bulbs.

:redexp: 10-4:D

How hard is it to wire the aftermarket ones in so where they come on and off like the factory ones? on my 00 the fogs are round, and how would they stay in?

wireing should be easy. You should be able to use the two wires that currently go to the lamps. Mounting??? If you want them in the sma location you'll have to look at the current mounts, and the new ones and decide which will work better. If you're mounting them on the top of your bumper, to eliminate busting them next wheel'n trip, then I would suggest mounting them on the top of you bumpt. Drill a hole and go! :D
This might require you to take off the bumper, I haven't done it so I'm wouldn't know.

My '97 obviously has different lamps and mounts than your '00. For mine I ended up welding some flatbar to the stock mounts and cut slots into the flatbar so that I could adjust the lights back and forth as I wished while mounting back under the bumper. However, I don't know what the '00 mounts are like. I ended up hooking my wires to the lamps up to the existing wiring since both sets of lamps were rated the same.

Back