• Register Today It's free!

water in head light

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
i have noticed some water in the lense but the light works fine except it looks like crap how can i solve the problem. i think i cant take out the whole light assembly and well, the repair book does not help what so ever.

any suggestions will be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a small drill bit (1/16" or smaller) and drill a hole as low as possible in one of the bottom corners of the lens. This will allow the moisture to evaporate and dry the lens out. If you live where there is a lot of humidity, or you play in the mud alot, you may want to fill the hole with a small dab of clear silicone once the moisture is gone.

Take a big drill bit and drill a hole. Fill it to to the top with water. Add some gold fish*. Make a plug from a cork. Plug the hole. Problem solved, and now you can take your pet goldfish everywhere, plus you have a conversation starter for sure! ;)

*I don't take any responsibility if the goldfish don't survive.

i guess i will have to do that (drill bit not Gold fish) thanks for the advice oh by the way joey nice x mine is the same exact kind year ,color, trim

Do what I did. Remove the headlight assembly (it's not too difficult, use Haynes manual). Get some silicone sealant. apply the silicone sealant around the rubber guard that fits around the headlight. This has worked for me, for a few months so far.

I forgot to mention, when you pull the headlight assembly, dry it out completely. Make it dry as a bone before you seal it. *** I would only drill as a last resort***...

Search the threads here about it, thats what I did and it was most helpful

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
*** I would only drill as a last resort***

I have drilled drain holes in several different headlights and have never had any problems. I wouldn't suggest it if it didn't work.

I never said it wouldn't work, I just said it's better to try silicone sealant before getting out the drill.

i have a haynes manual but could not find out how to get the head light out and the manual was some what wrong about some things like my front assembly comes out in thirds left head light surrounding middle grill and right headlight surrounding? the picture shows this as one whole assembly. i will try the sealent first and try to get the head lights out.

thanks for the help

Well I agree the Haynes man. is not very good when it comes to showing the tricks to removing Ex. headlights. I think there is something about Ford headlights from the late 80's/early 90's that makes the water collect because I've seen it on too many. I have done it 4 or 5 times to Bronco II's, Explorers, and a 88-93 Mustang over the years and have had to drill holes sometimes, but other times silicone sealant did the trick. If you offroad, especially mud pits where the front end drops in, you won't want the holes if you can help it.

1. open the hood and remove the plastic dust shield that is on top of the headlight/grille area. Also remove the rubber dust shield if you have one. It's held on by plastic pushpins and they are tough to remove. Flathead screwdriver helps to pry them out but be careful so you don't break them. (on my rig I replaced these pushpins with bolts, washers, and nuts).

2. unscrew the phillips head screws holding the grille in place. Then pop out the grille. It will take some force and it will pop rudely. It's held in by screws on top and some clamps nearer to the bottom.

3. unscrew the phillips head screws holding the headlight in place. They are located on top of the headlight assembly.

4. reach in and unhook the light connections; both for the turn signal and headlight

5. now pop (e.g. pull towards the front of vehicle) out the turn signal headlight assembly. It's hard to do, because it's held in by metal clamps on the bottom, and these clamps are tight.

Once it's out, you can clean it all, and dry the interior of the light. Clean the lens with a de-yellower or 3M plastic cleaner if needed. Pull off the rubber gasket that is around the headlight and clean it. Clean the outside of the headlight where the gasket goes, and inspect it for cracks where water can get in. Sometimes there won't be any cracks and it will look perfect, but still water can get in. Apply sealant there and put the gasket on. You might consider using clamps or some means of holding the rubber gasket to the headlight so the sealant firms better. Let it sit overnight so the sealant firms up. Over the next few weeks observe the lens for moisture esp. after car washes and/or rains. If it is still getting water in it, you'll have to drill. I suggest drilling on both top and bottom of lens housing if you do this.

Sorry if I typed a lot but I hope this helps more than the Haynes does.

Back