Water leak/wet carpet on passenger side | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water leak/wet carpet on passenger side

Post number 6 has been selected as best answered.

Every time it rains my passenger floorboard is soaked. I do not have a sun roof. When I feel under the glove box area I can feel wet/water near the right side but its not getting the inside of the glove box wet. It is only after a hard rain.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature at the upper right.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature at the upper right.

Peter
thank you. I didn't think that post applied to mine since I don't have a sun roof and it seemed that most of the commenting in that post was about that. Trying to find where the drains are located on my particular model to see if thats the issue

thank you. I didn't think that post applied to mine since I don't have a sun roof and it seemed that most of the commenting in that post was about that. Trying to find where the drains are located on my particular model to see if thats the issue
Sorry, I misread the original post about not having the moonroof. I think there are other posts about something similar to yours. I'll have a look.

Peter

I'm having a substantial water issue in the foot area of the front passenger side after any heavy rain event. There's so much water in the foot that the carpet and floor mat are soaked and wet to the touch. Will be taking it to the dealer. Wanted to see if there were any other experiences or an easy fix in the meantime. And before anyone asks the windows aren't rolled down. Thanks!
I HAVE A 2020 EXPLORER. WATER IS POURING INTO MY BACK SEAT, SEAT BELTS, AND SPEAKERS. DEALER SAID MY SUN ROOF DRAINS WERE CLOGGED WITH LEAVES. THEY CLAIMED THEY CLEANE IT BUT THE WATER KEEPS COMING IN NON STOP.

I HAVE A 2020 EXPLORER. WATER IS POURING INTO MY BACK SEAT, SEAT BELTS, AND SPEAKERS. DEALER SAID MY SUN ROOF DRAINS WERE CLOGGED WITH LEAVES. THEY CLAIMED THEY CLEANE IT BUT THE WATER KEEPS COMING IN NON STOP.
Welcome to the Forum Kristan. :wave:
A clogged drain will usually result in water pooling in the footwells. In the 5th gen Explorer, water running down the 3rd-row seatbelt was usually a sign of a leak due to a leak caused by the roof rail. Have you checked the spare tire well for water?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Kristan. :wave:
A clogged drain will usually result in water pooling in the footwells. In the 5th gen Explorer, water running down the 3rd-row seatbelt was usually a sign of a leak due to a leak caused by the roof rail. Have you checked the spare tire well for water?

Peter
Yes water was in there as well. I have an appointment on Tuesday to take to another dealer . Hope they can fix this problem . This is the third time taking it to ford to have issue resolved.

There were a few threads on leaks but nothing specific to yours. One was caused by a poor windshield replacement/seal.
Have you tried running a hose over that area to see if you find the area of the water intrusion?

Peter

Same issue here. In the fall, checked the sunroof drains and used weed trimmer line down the lines. All clear there. Had issues this week after 2” rain in one day and car sitting out at work. Passenger floor was wet. Today I removed the lower windshield cowl and found small leaves plugging the grommet drain by the air box for the cabin.

83E6B523-AE6F-4D9D-AEEC-EEF208C992D0.jpeg

Same issue here. In the fall, checked the sunroof drains and used weed trimmer line down the lines. All clear there. Had issues this week after 2” rain in one day and car sitting out at work. Passenger floor was wet. Today I removed the lower windshield cowl and found small leaves plugging the grommet drain by the air box for the cabin.

View attachment 439569
Still having issues. Pulled carpet back under glove box and found the stream. Would moonroof drain leak through there or is it from somewhere else?

AAEF4375-9F5F-4B7D-9BC0-376E69724B7F.jpeg

The signs of blocked drain tubes usually are water in the front or 2nd-row footwells, depending upon which ones are blocked. Have you checked to see if the water might be from the heater core?

Peter

The signs of blocked drain tubes usually are water in the front or 2nd-row footwells, depending upon which ones are blocked. Have you checked to see if the water might be from the heater core?

Peter
Thanks Peter. I have not checked the heater core. Is that easy to check? I will search the site

If the liquid is from the heater core it will be anti-freeze, so probably colored. You will also generally get steam if you turn on the front defrost.

If the liquid is from the heater core it will be anti-freeze, so probably colored. You will also generally get steam if you turn on the front defrost.
Thanks. It’s definitely clear and no smell. Defrost works fine. I’ll dig into it more this weekend and let you know what I find. Thanks for the input.

Did some more searching today. Removed wheel well lining to see the end of the moonroof drain. Just a hole in the body and no black port/fitting like in the picture from online. Poured water down the moonroof drain add it trickled out the hole. Looked in footwell and saw the water running down inside again after that. Remove the trim piece with the LED light for the footwell so I could see higher up. Saw the elbow for the drain raised up some. Got a hand up there and not connected to anything. So to fix that, is there an easy way to do it myself or take it to the dealer?

06957B8E-78D3-4B81-9EE9-B2B65C2FFA81.jpeg E7E22478-B981-4CD0-B4E4-05F390523045.jpeg

Up to you, but I would have the dealer take care of it so there is a record of the issue in case there are other consequences of the water leak. You might ask them to have the carpet shampooed and dried as well.

I guess it depends on whether can see where it should connect to and if you're able to get up in there to do it.

Peter.

Thought I’d update this post in case anyone else came here looking for help with a similar problem. Turns out my issue was not related to the vehicle at all, but was caused by an aftermarket windshield replacement that wasn’t installed properly. Second install from the glass company fixed the issue. Thanks to all for the replies.
Just to be sure I understand....when saying aftermarket did you have a choice?

Update…..dropped the Explorer off at the dealer last week and showed them where the leak was coming from. Next day they called and said the end had broken off where it goes through the wheel well. Not sure how a non moving part breaks but it was. They ordered a new drain hose and replaced the whole tube from the sunroof down. They were really nice and kept it indoors for over a week which was great with all the rain we got. (I didn’t need it for a week so perfect timing). The part number they replaced was HB5Z-78502C52-A.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back