Water leak/wet carpet on passenger side | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water leak/wet carpet on passenger side

Post number 6 has been selected as best answered.

The drains won't affect the seats since they only seem to spill onto the floor. I don't know if the 6th gen drains are configured the same as the 5th gen or not. Here is the 5th gen;

View attachment 339862
How about this image for 2002 explorer sport? Can you post that one for me? Last year i had removed all of the interior (seats, carpets and all) and dried it out over the course of two or three days and the worst of it was in the back. My smart self never address the leak though so it needs it again after I fix it. I've seen the water dripping between the rear side windows and the backseat side windows. Especially in heavier rain storms. Basically right where the rear seat belts are mounted inside along the sides. So I'm gonna assume the schematics are similar to the image above.
Apparently this is a common issue not just with explorers but generally a common issue with draining tubes in sun/moon roofs (still not sure which is which)🤣 wishing i knew sooner!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also having the same issue as Oshawya.
The car does not have a moonroof. But the passenger floor is wet after a rain.
Any idea would be great.

I am also having the same issue as Oshawya.
The car does not have a moonroof. But the passenger floor is wet after a rain.
Any idea would be great.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Perhaps water not properly draining from the cabin air intake and entering via the environmental control system.

I'm having a substantial water issue in the foot area of the front passenger side after any heavy rain event. There's so much water in the foot that the carpet and floor mat are soaked and wet to the touch. Will be taking it to the dealer. Wanted to see if there were any other experiences or an easy fix in the meantime. And before anyone asks the windows aren't rolled down. Thanks!
I just bought a 2020 Exploerer Platinum for my wife and after Hurricane Idalia (Tampa) and substantial rain, we noticed dripping when we make a left turn down at the bottom of the A-pillar passenger side corner of glovebox. Carpet pretty soaked there too. Did you ever get yours diagnosed? TIA!

I just bought a 2020 Exploerer Platinum for my wife and after Hurricane Idalia (Tampa) and substantial rain, we noticed dripping when we make a left turn down at the bottom of the A-pillar passenger side corner of glovebox. Carpet pretty soaked there too. Did you ever get yours diagnosed? TIA!
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on Feb. 19, 2021, so likely is not following any longer.
In many cases that would be due to a blocked sunroof drain tube but seeing as how it just happened after the storm, it could be something else.
Is the water still dripping or has it stopped? It may be easier to try and diagnose when it has stopped. Then you could try running water from a hose over certain areas like the sunroof and the windshield to see if it starts again.

Peter

i know this is an old thread but i wanted to bring some insite. there is an issue with the cowl screens and how it sheds water over the fresh air vent. the fresh air vent will default to the open position when the key is off and it will funnel the water directly on the cabin air filter and then onto the floor

i know this is an old thread but i wanted to bring some insite. there is an issue with the cowl screens and how it sheds water over the fresh air vent. the fresh air vent will default to the open position when the key is off and it will funnel the water directly on the cabin air filter and then onto the floor
Thanks for the info. This has also been mentioned in post #28 in this thread.

Peter

I can also verify this. Happened to me recently. The cowl was not clicked into the track below the windshield very well. Reset the cowl, and it seems to be resolved, but I will keep my eye on it. As mentioned, the HVAC inlet is directly below the passenger side cowl, and water can drip right in. Pulling the cabin air filter verified this, as it was full of water as well.

Back