Water leaking on drivers side floor | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water leaking on drivers side floor

I did this procedure earlier in the year and everything was dry until last nights heavy rain. Woke up this morning to a soaked drivers side rug & floor mat and a door sill channel full of water.

Incredibly frustrating that I spent all that time with the original drain hole clear out and now I potentially need to do it again.

Anyone have any other thoughts on what this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The water works it's way into the cabin thru the corner area of the upper floor board panel of the drivers foot well. Yes, you can access the drain hole without removing the tire and you do not have to remove the windshield cowl. You do have to remove the inner fender well liner to see and access the cleaning out of this drain hole. I removed the tire for extra room to work with and removed the windshield cowl to see if the drain hole could be accessed from above, it couldn't! You have to go thru the fender area. I did pump water from a garden hose down from the top (under the hood) as seen in my pics to help flush out the debris clogging the drain hole. My driver side carpet has been dry since I did this.
The water works it's way into the cabin thru the corner area of the upper floor board panel of the drivers foot well. Yes, you can access the drain hole without removing the tire and you do not have to remove the windshield cowl. You do have to remove the inner fender well liner to see and access the cleaning out of this drain hole. I removed the tire for extra room to work with and removed the windshield cowl to see if the drain hole could be accessed from above, it couldn't! You have to go thru the fender area. I did pump water from a garden hose down from the top (under the hood) as seen in my pics to help flush out the debris clogging the drain hole. My driver side carpet has been dry since I did this.

ExProblems, anyway you can repost your prictures without using photobucket? Would love to follow your procedure.

Just posting my experience as this thread pointed me in the right direction.
-soaked passenger side rug & floor mat and a door sill channel full of water. tried many different suggestions.
-i could not find out where the drain line from the power moon roof ended. used a bright orange weed trimmer line and fed it through the drain hole on the front passenger side of the moon roof.
-noticed the drain line in the sill and figured that wasn't right. finally figured out that the drain line is supposed to end about half way up in the door jam and the drain line was disconnected from the grommet type piece in the door jam.
-i was able to reattach the line without to much trouble.
thanks to this forum for the assist.

Go Bills!!

98 Ranger XLT 4.0 4X4 I've owned it for 8 years (mostly love it)
if you people can stop those leaks - KUDOS
I gave up and finally just cut out all the carpet on the drivers side & undercoated the floor under my feet
pretty amazing how many models and years of Fords have this issue

Exactly where did you put the hose nozzle to flush out the drain?
Do you think that would be sufficient to clean it out without removing the fender liner?

My fiancé’s truck is doing this and I’m taking a look at this tomorrow. I can’t really tell where abouts this drain hole is based on the photos above, can someone give me the general location when the inner fender has been pulled back?

My fiancé’s truck is leaking near the parking brake area soaking the carpet. I can’t tell where the hole is based on the pics, is it in the upper left of the pic above showing fender and inner pulled back?

My 1994 Eddie Bauer Explorer leaked into both the the driver's side and passenger floor pans from the air intake channel that extends the length of the windshield and just forward of it and the firewall. The outside air enters through the perforated area between the windshield wipers. By using a borescope on my cell phone I was able to inspect this channel and found a number of places where it had rusted through. Due to lack of easy access I was unable to repair these rusted holes in the channel. I sold it to someone who would be storing it mostly inside to minimize the problem. I had it for 9 years and hated to see it go at 196k miles. But I couldn't live with the wet carpet.

I have a 2018 Ford Explorer. Had windshield replaced. Now have wet Driver side floors. Pulled the windshield was told seal was fine. Now looking at sunroof. Anyone figure out where water is coming from?

I have a 2018 Ford Explorer. Had windshield replaced. Now have wet Driver side floors. Pulled the windshield was told seal was fine. Now looking at sunroof. Anyone figure out where water is coming from?
try washing it or spraying with water and seeing where it comes in. found the sunroof tubes to be clogged, so water would go through, but not fast enough so some of it would back flow over and leak inside. never leaked onto the seat, just made a stain on the headliner :(

Back