Water pump problem?

gard_mc

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
Hey everybody.

I think I have a bad water pump, but I'm not certain. Several weeks ago I started slowly loosing coolant. but figure out from where. Last week I thought I had found a loose fitting, tightened it and hoped I had fixed it. This weekend after a long trip the Ex started making a strange noise, I had my dad look at it (he's a mechanic, but didn't have much time) and he thought water pump. Tonight I took off the belt and started up, no noise, so I think it is definetly something ran by the serpentine belt. I crawled back up under the truck and now there is a good bit of anti-freeze and the highest point it is at (therefore the leak?) is the bottom of the water pump.

I think that must be it, but before I started buying parts and tearing stuff apart I thought I'd get a second opinion!

If it is the H2O pump, can I get to it without taking the fan and shroud off, I didn't follow the directions in my shop manual for doing that. (I have a 96 Sport with the V-6 if this makes a difference)

THanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have coolent coming out of the "weep" hole which means that the seal in your water pump has failed. Yes, you need a new water pump.

I don't think that you can replace it without removing the fan and shroud first. The fan is attached to the hub of the water pump, so you will need to remove it in any event. It isn't that difficult to remove the shroud, and you will need the extra room to work anyway.

Check this link: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/0b/8e/d4/0900823d800b8ed4.jsp

Thanks for the link dogfriend, I never new Autozone had so much info on their website. I'm going to pick up a gasket and pump tomorrow. I'm assuming Autozone rents the tools I need???

Anything else I should do while I'm at it? I had the radiator flushed at 60K miles, i'm at 80K now. How much coolant should I plan on catching when I drain the system and should I reuse or buy new?

Thanks for all of the advice

You will pretty much have to drain all of the coolent because you will probably have to remove the lower radiator hose.

You may need a large wrench to remove the fan clutch (I can't remember). Otherwise just sockets and wrenches.

You can reuse the coolent if it is clean, but for the money it would be easier just to replace it.

Have fun. I had to replace the water pump in my Ranger two times but not in the Explorer yet.

Autozone, NAPA, and I'm sure some other chain stores, should loan the fan clutch tool to you for free. (Might have to leave a deposit.) Ask for the Ford Fan Clutch tool.

I got a Ford fan clutch tool from Autozone on their loaner program.

Its not tough. Buy a Haynes and take your time. You can rent the tools you need and get the good Permatex RTV sealant and let it "set up" while you are scraping the old gasket off the housing so by the time you are ready so will the sealant. Good luck. About a 6/10 in terms of difficulty for the first time.

PS Don't overtighten those bolts. Get them good and tight but don't lean into it.

Back