• Register Today It's free!

weird feeling while driving

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I notice the other day I am getting a weird feeling from the front passenger side of my car when I was driving. It felt almost like I had a flat tire or something because it seemed to happen in rotation, but after inspection I did not have a flat. I haven't noticed any change in ride except for feeling the the "flat spot" as I drive. Any Ideas on what this can be? I have a 96 with
2wd 4wd selectable. It was in 2wd as I felt this on dry pavement. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you have a belt shift in# that tire, you would feel that more at slower speed like in a parking lot. If you feel it at higher speed , say 30kms and up i would check the tire balance. Or possibly a slight warp in the rotor/seized caliper sliders.

hope that helps.

Have a visual check of your tyre then run your hand right around it while up on the jacks. It may have a bulge (egg). This would be internal damage of the tyre and may not be so obvious. Do it as soon as you can as a blow out will not be the best outcome.

If it all looks and feels fine then replace it with your spare and see if it still does it. If it does your problem is not your tyre.

As a precaution, check all your tyres. Just because it feels like the front left does not mean it actually is.

I had the same problem! It was the bearings

See my post on this. My front end seemed loose and it felt like a flat spot but replaced tires and rotated. I also needed a tire balanced. Front end it good as new, or at least feels like it.

Bearings are a cheap easy fix.

Bearings may be a cheap, easy fix for a 2wd but for a 4x4 they are about $150 a piece here, I know.

I got my tires at pep boys and have the warranty service so since I am at school I am just going to go to the local one and see if there is something wrong with the tire. Hopefully I will be doing this tomorrow so I will let everyone know what the outcome is tomorrow night. Thanks.

Ok, I just got back from pep boys and they balance and inspected my tire and it was fine. Of course while I was driving I still heard the sound though. I turned down my radio on the way home and just listened and was able to conclude that the sound is the worst from about 30-35 MPH but can be heard from about 10 MPH up to about 40MPH. After that i can't really hear it, of course it could be because everything is spinning much faster and I just can't make it out. Does this still sound like a bearing?

If so, are they easy enough for me to replace? I was told both on here and at pep boys the best way to check if the bearings are ok is to jack up the vehicle and 1) see if it wobbles and 2) see if when I rotate the tires if they seem to snag anywhere. Unfortunately I cannot do that at school, but spring break is in a couple weeks so I will be able to check and if I need to replace them than, provided it is easy enough for me to do it. Thanks!!

If it is only noticeable at those speeds check what gear it is in. Im assuming its an auto. If the noise goes away at up change (2nd to 3rd) it may be a driveline issue or worse, the tranny. Dont assume anything. Observe all functions of your car when it is making the noise and try to pin point the noise. Get someone else to drive it with you in the passenger seat with the window down. Drive through a small main street shopping centre at night when there is less traffic. any noise emitting from the car will bounce off the shop windows back to you. With your focus off the road you can concentrate on the noise better.

It is an auto and it makes the sound through the shifts and on all gears. Also It seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle by the wheel. Thanks.

Back