bad grinding noise front wheel 99 sport 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bad grinding noise front wheel 99 sport 4wd

circe801

Reaction score
City, State
nyc metro area
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 sport
last week, noticed an unusual squeak from front pass sd wheel. seemed to go away after a few miles. later, ABS light came on. pulled out of driveway next day or so, felt like i had a flat--dragging feeling. went back, added air (tire was not flat, just a little low), problem seemed to go away. didn't drive for a couple days. pulled wheel, didn't seem like anything was amiss re: ABS. today, pull out of driveway and loud grinding from that wheel as i got up to 15-20mph. felt something like the axle was going to fail. last time i heard anything like that was when i blew my rear diff.
went back, pulled wheel off. no play. i've never had an axle go that didn't give me notice. what the heck is this?? i am frustrated and broke, but need to find out where to start here. anyone?? ask any questions you need to (and i might remember something i forgot to tell)...

thanks in advance--you guys always seem to help!! hope to hear soon--
allyson

I am assuming when you state axle up front you are 4wd or AWD. If that is the case, lift up the P/S front until tire is off ground, then spin it to listen for it grinding while you sin the tire. If you do not hear it then, visually check the rotor, pads. Sometimes I have seen where a pebble or rock gets lodged in between the caliper and rotor. Look at the axle shaft and pull and push on the shaft for excess play back and forth. Bearings may be worn or partially locked up at this point and could get worse. The shaft itself maybe need of lubrication at each or one or the other end. See if you have a hanging caliper piston. I mean there is a wide variety of things that could be or is going bad. ABS light coming on could be a few things also that would be or could be related to the areas mentioned.

yes, 4wd. wheel spins fine, no play, brakes fine--checked thoroughly when ABS light came on. i also don't think it's the hub as this is not the same noise. it's a grinding and knocking--and it sounds like something failing but hasn't given me any forewarning. it just seems like the axle or shaft is involved. also, for what it's worth, it doesn't seem to make any noise in reverse. are these axles even lubricatable??

Back