• Register Today It's free!

Weird OD shifting problem

explorerguy94

Reaction score
City, State
albemarle nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xlt
93 EB explorer 4x4. Most of the time it will not shift into OD even when Im goin 70 on the interstate at 3500 rpms or so. Sometimes it will shift into OD just fine but I figured out when Im goin 45 - 50mph I shift into N and back into OD and it shifts smooth into OD everytime. Its like something wrong with my linkage or something not recognizing its in OD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The torqe converter lockup and shift into 4th or overdrive is electronically controlled by the PCM. Check for codes to see if there is a problem in the shift circutry. You may have a solenoid that is going bad.

See whats in there, at least its easy to do.

-edit- there is also a band adjustment for overdrive.

The check engine light is not on. The only lights that keeps coming on is the check oil and rear antilock light. I thought it might be the solenoid. I have replaced tranny fluid and filter and the reverse servo o rings. Where is the solenoid at? Is there an easier way to drain the fluid than pulling the pan like a hose?

The solenoid is in the valvebody of the trans. You can check resistance of the coil. I think its about 33 ohms. Someone correct me if i'm mistaken.

Would you still get a PCM code for the VSS if it was bad?

How do I check the codes for the abs? Yes the cruise control works.

My 95 doesnt like to shift into OD unless im doing about 48 and then I gotta go down to 47...its weird. Id like to look into it more..

How do you recalibrate it? (I do need to adjust that little nut for the drive shift indicator, mines 1 gear off, I dont think that would matter though?) (Shows 2 when in D, and N when in R etc)

my new tranny was doing the same thing in my 94. i had the guy that rebuilt it take a look, all it was was a sticky valve.... thats what he told me anyways.

similar issue

I just purchased a 92 explorer with 113K on the odometer that has been well taken care of. It had the trans rebuilt at 105K but that was almost two years ago as it sat in the driveway and saw very little use.

The trans works fine and it seems to shift into OD without issue. The issue occurs when I'm driving about 55-65 MPH with the tach reading between 1800-2000 RPM and encounter a slight to moderate uphill grade at which point the engine begins to lug and the trans does not want to shift out of OD unless I put my foot in it. Easing off the throttle causes the trans to want to shift back into OD at which point the engine starts to lug again. For the time being, I downshift to D whenever an incline is encountered.

Common sense is telling me that I should flush/change the fluid due to it being parked for so long. I'll have the vehicle service and report my findings. Any input would be welcome.

Back