• Register Today It's free!

Weird Power Window Issue

James Wiles

Reaction score
City, State
Monticello, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I just picked up a 2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition For Dirt cheap. The problem I'm having is with the drivers side window. I pulled off the door card thinking it's the motor, regulator or switch and I noticed the power cable was unplugged. Thinking great that's all it is. So I plugged it back in and yes the window rolls down but hold on. The window rolls down pushing up on the switch but when I push down it does nothing. I checked for power at the switch, it has power. Checked for broken wires at the harness going into the door, nothing broken. Relay was switched with another working one and still the same thing. Window down while pushing up a
on the switch and nothing while pushing down. Where and what should I check? Does the GEM control this? Please let me know where I should with this next? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd wonder if the switch itself has failed. Using a multimeter you should be able to map out which electrical contacts on the back correspond to each switch function then see if there is continuity pushing the switch for the window in question.

Do you happen to know which colored wires would be the hot for up and the hot for down? For what I've read so far that the explorers have a single ground for all the windows

I don't know, but you could find out experimentally by operating the switches for windows that work still, measuring with a multimeter while doing so.

Thank You I will look into that

Back