Weird squeak in driver side rear suspension - 2003 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird squeak in driver side rear suspension - 2003 XLT

TTSaleen

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
So my 2003 XLT AWD Explorer has 190x miles on it.
I've replaced the springs and struts about 2 years ago when I bought it from the original owner. At the time all was fine.
In the last couple of months, I've heard a squeak from the driver side rear end when I go over a bump.
In the last couple of weeks, it's worse to the point anytime I move it squeaks and I can make it happen by jumping up and down on the step bar.

I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet, but curious what you guys might have seen on this particular issue and what I should look for.
Given the high mileage, could it be the control arm bushings?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at sway bar bushings at the wheels. The ones at the frame tend to make a pops/bang sound.

Fixed it! So the driver side lower control arm was original (190k miles).
The noise would not change no matter how much WD40 I sprayed on it.

So I installed a brand new replacement lower control arm.
Upon removing it from the Explorer, the mounting bolt (one closest to driveshaft) was seized inside the sleeve bushing.
It took some effort to remove, but this turned out to be where the noise was coming from.

The new arm is in and the Explorer is quiet again! Plus it rides better (probably just a mental thing). :)

Cost of new lower arm was under $200 and took about 1.5 hours to change due to the seized bolt.

Ryan

So a little over 1 year (and 5 months) later and the passenger side did the same thing.
This time I put a quick video together of the replacement process and part I used.
Slightly harder to find that lower arm these days I guess due to supplier shortages, but I did find it on Amazon. Link in my Youtube description.

Back