• Register Today It's free!

Weird Tailgate Latch Problems

dcnatlsfan

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 4x4EB, '97 Ranger XLT
I have a very odd problem with my tailgate latch. When the doors are locked, the window button will still open the window. When the doors are unlocked, the window is locked but the tailgate will open. In summary, there's no way to completely lock the tailgate because one or the other will always open.

Anyone have any earthly idea why this could occur? I just replaced the latch assembly in the driver's door because it wouldn't lock, but this tailgate thing is totally different.

Thanks!

I have a very odd problem with my tailgate latch. When the doors are locked, the window button will still open the window. When the doors are unlocked, the window is locked but the tailgate will open. In summary, there's no way to completely lock the tailgate because one or the other will always open.

Anyone have any earthly idea why this could occur? I just replaced the latch assembly in the driver's door because it wouldn't lock, but this tailgate thing is totally different.

Thanks!

Possibly a cross on the wiring harness??

wierd

Pop the pannel off and study the linkage.
Sounds like something is going from point A to point B the hard way ?
:scratches:

Who knows? I took the panel off and saw absolutely nothing amiss. What I did was just lube the whole thing with white spray grease and work the lock assembly a lot to work it in. When I was done, it worked...

I think the button portion of the mechanism was actually the problem. Something was evidentally hung up inside it, but it's free now.

Thanks for your help.

Back