• Register Today It's free!

well craaap

beenwrong2002

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Yesterday I went to do my monthly 4WD check (i was told engaging it once a month or so can clear out stuff that might junk parts up??), anyways I got in a little bit of mud, put in it 4WD Auto and nothing happend when i started giving it gas and moving. No indicators came on in the dash and the front wheels wouldnt engage while the back ones were spinning. Nor did I hear the clunking noise from the front in when it normally engages. I tried 4Low also and got the same result. I tried putting it in neutral, reverse, drive while switching from 2wd to 4high and 4low. At once point the 4wd indicators blinked for a second but not again. I know the blinking 4wd indicator lights means theres possibly a problem somewhere...Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I know it can probably be a lot of things, but I'm just trying to get an idea... I gots a 96' XLT 4x4 4.0 sohc (i believe)...any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man.. it seems the 4x4 on the 2nd gens is always crappin out... a friend who has a 99 sport... no reverse (tranny is screwed) and 4x4 refuses to engage, and my dad's 98 mazda b series.. the 4x4 has refused to engage multiple times, even after getting it fixed by the dealer through the warentee..

I couldn't tell ya what's wrong with it, but I've seen this problem multiple times.. so don't freak out too much thinking your truck is gonna die or something =P

Someone help this guy, I'm curious about this problem also.

*edit* I hope this couldn't be caused by the TT, is that possible?
What about having 33's? Even though the 3.37LS seems fine for that setup... idk..

did you check all the fuses?

does your 4x4 light come on when you start the truck? (jsut to make sure the bulb is not burned out) it may be flashing and you don't see it.

Indeed, start by checking the fuses, and verify the lights are working at startup. From there, we've got a lot of digging to do. It sounds like an electrical gremlin, but that's just a guess.

How comfortable are you doing electrical troubleshooting and using a multimeter?

-Joe

Indeed, start by checking the fuses, and verify the lights are working at startup. From there, we've got a lot of digging to do. It sounds like an electrical gremlin, but that's just a guess.

How comfortable are you doing electrical troubleshooting and using a multimeter?

-Joe

eh i dont have the tools or knowledge for the electrical troubleshooting :( ill check the fuses tomorrow...but i dont think the bulbs for the indicator lights are burned out because they blinked steadily for a few seconds at one point but stopped...

almost sounds like the fuse blew if it was blinking and then stopped. This could point to other electrical problems with the shift motor. If it is the fuse, it may just blow again when you replace them.

Back