Well the 4.0 finally bit the dust. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well the 4.0 finally bit the dust.

slammed98z

Reaction score
City, State
Branson West, Missouri 65737
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 2DR
Well the 4.0 in my explorer finally gave its life today. No compression in the #3 cylinder. I believe the ringland on the piston is no longer there. Will findout more information when i go to pulling out the engine. Time for a rebuild. 270,000 Miles and 60,000 of them being under 15-18 Lbs of boost. Build well should i say REBUILD thread to follow. Not 100% Sure what i am going to do. Possibly rebuilding the motor, or just picking a used one up from the junkyard.

Either way i will make a indepth rebuild or swap thread with alot of pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the 4.0 in my explorer finally gave its life today. No compression in the #3 cylinder. I believe the ringland on the piston is no longer there. Will findout more information when i go to pulling out the engine. Time for a rebuild. 270,000 Miles and 60,000 of them being under 15-18 Lbs of boost. Build well should i say REBUILD thread to follow. Not 100% Sure what i am going to do. Possibly rebuilding the motor, or just picking a used one up from the junkyard.

Either way i will make a indepth rebuild or swap thread with alot of pictures.

Dang sorry to here, can't say you didn't get your moneys worth from it.. And with boost with such high miles. Good luck with everything.

I have been thinking of a rebuild for my 4.0 in the future.Please include as many pics as possible!

Dang sorry to here, can't say you didn't get your moneys worth from it.. And with boost with such high miles. Good luck with everything.

For the abuse she has been through i cant believe she lasted this long. I got way more than i ever expected from her. I most likely will be rebuilding the engine, as long as the cylinder wall's dont have much damage. She has been showing signs of wear for a while now, 2Qts of oil between a oil change and alot of blue smoke and fumes out the valve cover.

I have been thinking of a rebuild for my 4.0 in the future.Please include as many pics as possible!

Will do, it may be a week or so before i get started on tearing it down. I have to get old trusty running again for something to drive. 85 volvo FTW.

Here is the video:
th_VIDEO_002.jpg

:rolleyes: I think she might have a little blow by problem. She has served me very well and will be getting a rebuild soon.

sorry to hear bout that

Back