What 4.0 OHV Heads are quality for a stock build? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What 4.0 OHV Heads are quality for a stock build?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Box says Engine Quest. Looks like I got a set of head bolts in the box too.

20220424_125403.jpg 20220424_125523.jpg

Doing some more research. I like the idea of the 95TM heads that are OEM on eBay right now. Unfortunately, I had a guy on another forum say this:- 98 pistons with 97 or 94 heads would have reduced compression and performance. Can anyone confirm? Lots of guys recommended the 95TM heads because they would work with my stock exhaust- but I wouldn't want to go that way if it lowers compression and performance. I am ready to buy as soon as I get this sorted.

Thanks!

Kirby

95tm or 98tm heads will work with your short block. The difference is 98tm heads have a slightly smaller exhaust port, it is for emissions purposes. For a stock build you won't notice a difference between the two. 93tm heads will drop your compression.

ok I went with the 95tm heads on eBay that are NOS ford units. I like that they are Motorcraft. I also ordered a set of pushrods from ford. I need rockers and lifters.

any suggestions on those? Is melling good? Ford discontunued them.

any suggestions on those? Is melling good? Ford discontunued them.
for the hydraulic version on the sohc melling ones were good , but know the ohv isnt the same ;)

man lifters are nearly impossible to find. Engine Tech or ITM? I dont know if they are any good. I can't find any melling ones to speak of- one or two here and there. Ford discontinued lifters and rockers. Any ideas?

man lifters are nearly impossible to find. Engine Tech or ITM? I dont know if they are any good. I can't find any melling ones to speak of- one or two here and there. Ford discontinued lifters and rockers. Any ideas?
never heard of either, sorry :confused2::dunno: reminds me of sueprtech :D :D :D from reading here, doesnt seem like the best reviews, as far as someone using their rings, and someone usng gasekts from them... when i search itm, i gets tons of ebay 🤣

rough to find rockers and lifters and they are a ton of cash money. Should I reuse my stockers? Even the weird brands I am going to have 500-1000 in rockers and lifters!

Yep

Building ohv is $$$$$$

Last time I bought a set of
Melling lifters was about 6 years ago it was like $450
I would only run melling or nos if possible

Not sure if it’s true but this Amazon add says in stock

Melling JB-2244 Engine Valve Lifter Amazon product ASIN B000C4NP06

Thanks Jaime- good to know I am on track. I found some melling rockers from autozone. Special order. Stoked on that. Got them on the way. Good to hear that
Melling is the right brand to buy. I also talked Mizpah about rebuilding my lifters and they sounded like it was a good option. Prefer new though- so I will check that link. Do you recommend replacing the rod that the rockers sit on?

Always replace pushrods and lifters together yes

You need to closely inspect the rockers themselves as well look for any signs of abnormal wear after that you are good to go! If you need any parts I have A 2000 ohv here block that was running when pulled 300k miles, dude was a stickler for maintenance lots of new

Ok perfect. Thanks for the offer Jaime. My 1991 OHV in there is probably fine too. It runs great and has 300K on it. The only real problem it has had it a leaky lower intake gasket. I ordered the melling lifters off of amazon last night. So I will have Melling Rockers and lifters and Ford pushrods. The shafts are pretty expensive, so I think I am going to inspect them before I order new ones.

I saw that. no idea on brand of it though/ quality. i picked up my millings rockers and ford pushrods today. waiting on millings lifters to come in from amazon.

Yea I was wondering about the quality as well but the company selling them is well known, been around for 25 plus years.

Just a followup on the Amazon link for melling lifters. Those are trash. I got them in the mail today. The box has a sticker with "HT-2244" which is the sealed power part #. The actual lifters have the number "200429" stamped on them. I can't find anything melling about them. I am sending them back. I found that Autozone has Melling lifters that the can order. They cost nearly double, but they have a 20% off discount code right now- so it works out to about $10 more a piece than amazon. For $120, I will take the peace of mind.

The thing about Autozone, if you catch the right sales person in a good mood they can give you a discount. I've asked and noticed it on the receipt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the autozone ones. They said “made in China” on the box. Not awesome- but I think I am going to stick with them because atleast I know they are melling brand from the box.

Back