What are the major differences between 2010 and 2011 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the major differences between 2010 and 2011 Ford Explorer

mwechsler18

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 lexus RX 330
Hello,
I'm in the market for a used Ford Explorer with AWD. I'm thinking my price range can be found either in the 2010 or the 2011 models. Can you please tell me the major differences between the two years. This will help me narrow my search.

Also at what mileage is it recommended the timing belt be changed. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two totally different vehicles. 2011 was the first year for the completely redesigned Explorer.

Hello,
I'm in the market for a used Ford Explorer with AWD. I'm thinking my price range can be found either in the 2010 or the 2011 models. Can you please tell me the major differences between the two years. This will help me narrow my search.

Also at what mileage is it recommended the timing belt be changed. Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The biggest difference is that the 2011 (5th generation) is a uni-body vehicle and depending upon which trim level you are looking, it can be loaded with various electronic features you likely won't find on a 2010.

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Explorer&year=2011&postalCode=55401

Peter

This is a 2010 Explorer, It has a completely different body style then a 2011+ Explorer as well as different engine options, interior and everything. Its a completely different machine (And much uglier)

ford-explorer-2010-5.jpg

Compared to a 2011

2013-ford-explorer-sport.jpg

The 2010 was based on the Ford Ranger. The 2011 on are basically a Taurus with an SUV body. I miss the off road capabilities in my 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010, but the ride in my 2014 is quite superior.

It all depends on your wants and needs. You will find the 2011 is a much wider vehicle. Keep this in mind as parking gets a little tight with it.

The 2010 was based on the Ford Ranger.

Eh..... sort of. The Explorer and Ranger really started going separate paths at the 2002 Explorer model year.

But a 2011 has nothing in common with prior Explorers except for the name.

Back