What are these two items? 2013 PIU. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are these two items? 2013 PIU.

2013PIU

Reaction score
City, State
WALNUT CREEK, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
I was cleaning the rear plastic panels on my newly acquired 2013 PIU and was curious what the circled red box and connector were for. This is on the passenger side just behind the rear door.
ThA4u9z_d.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
From the close up I'm have a little difficulty visualizing what I'm looking at. Perhaps another member will have a better idea. Is the openining on the left the liftgate? If so the picture shows what the regular Explorer has back there.

Peter

PB090263a.jpg

The red box is a positive battery terminal. I'm not sure what the connector is for.

Like I mentioned the close up doesn't give me a good idea of where exactly this is. Is it the left rear panel in the cargo area and is the opening to the left the liftgate? A picture from further out might help.

Like I mentioned the close up doesn't give me a good idea of where exactly this is. Is it the left rear panel in the cargo area and is the opening to the left the liftgate? A picture from further out might help.

Thanks for your replies. The seatbelt retractor you see is for the passenger side second row seat, so this would likely be located in the 3rd row area. I was hoping the connector was for rear speakers I could easily add. Currently I only have the front two speakers in the doors.

You should have speakers in all 4 doors.

The speaker wires are already in the door. Have you looked? You need to replace the door panels with the civilian model or cut holes in the door panels, ghetto style. Mine had OEM speaker wire connectors in the rear doors, just needed to install speakers.

Speakers should be there unless they pulled them due to it being a K9 unit or having put flat police type door panels on.

My 2015 PIU did not have the rear speakers installed. The door panels don't have the holes in to allow the sound to exit the door panel either. The wiring was there though. My 2015 PIU was a Ford QC vehicle, so it was never in service.

Back