Reaction score
City, State
Le Mars, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0
Callsign
Hillbilly
http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/cto/3643528358.html

What are your thoughts? I'm already planning on getting it, either for parts or to drive. I'm thinking a change of tranny fluid would do it, but I'm going to go check it out tomorrow morning before school :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eh I suppose it doesn't matter now, as I am going to check it out tomorrow hopefully and I'll be trading my atv for it haha

My thoughts are it probably went 197691 miles and has never had the transmission serviced, maybe the ATF was never even changed. Who knows.

The A4LD is known for its issues, you should plan on having the trans rebuilt or throwing a better one in there. It's unlikely that just changing the fluid is going to do anything.

My thoughts are it probably went 197691 miles and has never had the transmission serviced, maybe the ATF was never even changed. Who knows.

The A4LD is known for its issues, you should plan on having the trans rebuilt or throwing a better one in there. It's unlikely that just changing the fluid is going to do anything.

Agreed. It always amazes me when someone thinks just changing the fluid will solve a transmission issue. It pretty much never does.

If youre using it as a beater truck and can get it for cheap...why not...

Dont expect it to be super reliable

I'm not really expecting just changing the tranny fluid will do anything, it's just a starting point for figuring out what's wrong with it. If the tranny is bad, I can just use that truck for parts on my current XLT. So eaither way, I'm going to be happy happy happy, jack

Dont expect it to be super reliable

Its as reliable as you're willing to make it. If you're willing to put money and wrench time into it it will be a great truck.

Sounds like a great candidate for a manual swap to ditch the crappy A4LD if you can get it for $400 or so.

The four wheeler I'm trading the guy is a 1985 Suzuki 230 Quadrunner or Quadsport. It doesn't have a carb and it's only worth $200. I talked to the guy through email and in person and he's interested in the quad because he's got a 250 Suzuki without an engine. So I'm basically getting an Explorer worth about $1500 for $200.

If the tranny is bad, I will end up swapping in a 5 speed or I'll just use it as a parts truck for my current 94. Either way, I will be happy with it

Alright, here's the lowdown on the XLT I checked out today:

The engine runs amazing, no rattles or not-supposed-to-be-there-noises. No lifters ticking so I'm happy. It does still have the stock 4.slow engine and sounds great at 197xxx miles. As a matter of fact, it sounds like a v8 when you rev it :D But it does have the typical slight oil leak comming from the head.

The tranny kind of works. Like, it drives up to around 50, then revs high and won't shift. The ATF was black and smelled burnt and was wayyy over filled (I'm thinking this is the tranny problem? Would overfilling the tranny make it act like that?)

The driver door pull handle was broke off, but that's no big deal as I can replace the door panel pretty easily. All five doors and rear hatch glass opens great and all four windows go up and down, abiet slowly (I can spray the rails with WD-40 and see if that helps)

The tires all hold air, except for the left rear, which has a couple deep weather cracks. It has a full size spare I can drive around on, which I'm already doing on my current Ex

The interior is great, it just has a few stains that I could see and a lot of dirt on the floor. The two buckets and rear bench look in great shape and would just need a good vaccuuming to look better.

There was snow on the ground and I was cold, so I didn't want to check for exhaust leaks, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a muffler, which would explain why it sounds like a v8

Overall, I am very into this rig and I'm hoping he takes my offer, as I need a new rig for offroading :D

Its as reliable as you're willing to make it. If you're willing to put money and wrench time into it it will be a great truck.

Sounds like a great candidate for a manual swap to ditch the crappy A4LD if you can get it for $400 or so.

Now, now. No need to trash the A4LD completely. Mine went 294,000 and change before it grenaded, and that was with a 3.08 rear end.

That kind of mileage is certainly the exception to what seems to have come the standard of their life span. Mine came equipped with that but was found in the boot with a seized pump and lots of issues. For the age of these trucks I just can't see putting the kind of money it takes to rebuild an automagic for it just to have issues down the line.

If OP can get his going with a fluid change then by all means no point in wasting time and money on a swap until it's absolutely necessary. The M5R1 has a slightly better track record than the A4LD (just not my M5R1, oops!)

The tranny fluid was overfilled and black and smelled burnt. So I'm thinking that's what's wrong with it.

But would overfilling the tranny be the reason it can get up to 50mph, rev high, then not go any faster? I'm probably better off asking in the tranny forum, but you never know. Also, would driving it when it does that ruin the tranny any?

They do odd things when they are under and overfilled. It could very well be the problem. I would think if you can swing getting it towed I'd do that instead of taking the chance on damaging it any more.

This was the fluid I drained from my dead A4LD. Certainly didn't help it any.

7203967130_dffff594eb_z.jpg

Would you recommend me changing the filter too, or just the fluid?

I cannot see the picture until I get home from school. These stupid laptops don't allow us to see pictures :mad:

You should drop the pan and change or at least clean the filter, otherwise you could just have a lot of crud come loose with new fluid and completely stop up an already clogged original filter. It MIGHT even be a clogged filter that's causing problems as well.

Advance Auto Parts has Castrol Dex/Merc gallons on sale for $14.99. Might wanna try that or their bulk Dex/Merc ATF rather than dumping expensive ATF in there. If it cures the tranny issues, just change it again after a few days/weeks to get most of the old stuff out.

Roadrunner, is there an adapter for a shop vac to do that?

I will end up changing the tranny filter anyways so we'll see how that works

The guy said that a valve might be stuck in the transmission. Would that mean it needs an overhaul, or is there a way I could do it myself?

What would cause tranny fluid to smell burnt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I don't think it matters anymore as the owner didn't take my offer

Back