What can be described as a "clunk" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can be described as a "clunk"

EXPPLAN

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 St-Line
2023 Ford Explorer ST-Line. Delivered in March of this year, just hit 4,000 miles. I don't regularly drive it ( its wife's car) but have been driving it regularly for the past week. Notice what could only be described as a "thunking" or rattling sound when going over slightly uneven roadway. The closest thing I could associate it with is a NYC Cab ir vehicle with a somewhat worn out suspension and travel which sounds almost like a rattling under the rear of the car. Not as pronounced or loud as that sound ( which is very distinct) but much more muffled and hidden. Anyone experience something similar or ideas on what it could be. Plan on taking it to dealership but afraid they may discount the noise. I know I am not crazy as my wife hears it too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 22 ST Line with over 12K and I've only heard a rattle on the left side when going over a rough road. Never could figure out what's causing it. Nothing's fallen off yet.😉

Do you have a tow pkg & have a drawbar installed? I get a thunk on speed humps or mild bumps in the road at low speed & am pretty sure it's the drawbar moving in the hitch.

2023 Ford Explorer ST-Line. Delivered in March of this year, just hit 4,000 miles. I don't regularly drive it ( its wife's car) but have been driving it regularly for the past week. Notice what could only be described as a "thunking" or rattling sound when going over slightly uneven roadway. The closest thing I could associate it with is a NYC Cab ir vehicle with a somewhat worn out suspension and travel which sounds almost like a rattling under the rear of the car. Not as pronounced or loud as that sound ( which is very distinct) but much more muffled and hidden. Anyone experience something similar or ideas on what it could be. Plan on taking it to dealership but afraid they may discount the noise. I know I am not crazy as my wife hears it too.
My suggestion is to have the service person take a ride with you so that you can point out the noise when you hear it.

Peter

hey i have a brand new 2023 st doing the same thing i even said it sounds like a nyc cab i have 200 miles on it on the highway didn't hear but local driving. did your find out what it is

My 2023 Timberline has what I describe as a low speed knock/rattle coming from the left front. Dealer has replaced the rack and pinion, but sound came back....turns out, it was a bad replacement rack so they are installing another one. I pick it up tomorrow. Not even 2 months old.

hey i have a brand new 2023 st doing the same thing i even said it sounds like a nyc cab i have 200 miles on it on the highway didn't hear but local driving. did your find out what it is
Welcome to the Forum Joey. :wave:
Did you bring it back to the dealer to have them check it out?

Peter

We have a 23 Timberline with the clunk rattle sound. Took it to Ford today and they said " they had their Best Mechanic on it and couldn't hear it. They said 3 of them drove it and couldn't duplicate". Very frustrating, cause it is obvious. Gonna have to find another dealer. As I was leaving the dealer and got to speed limit sounded like something fell under my hood on the driver's side. Now we gotta get a flash light and look around.

We have a 23 Timberline with the clunk rattle sound. Took it to Ford today and they said " they had their Best Mechanic on it and couldn't hear it. They said 3 of them drove it and couldn't duplicate". Very frustrating, cause it is obvious. Gonna have to find another dealer. As I was leaving the dealer and got to speed limit sounded like something fell under my hood on the driver's side. Now we gotta get a flash light and look around.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
For issues like this where they say it can't be duplicated, it is a good idea to see if you can take a technician along for a ride so that you can point out what you feel is the issue.

Peter

I have a 2023 explorer and have a light knocking noise under the front passenger side when I drive slowly down my driveway. I checked underneath on that side and tapped the chassis cover and it sounded like something was riding on top of the cover. I unfastened the cover and found a 3/4 " stone and smaller gravel on top of the cover. Eureka I thought I found the source. After refastening the cover I slowly drove down my driveway and guess what? The darn noise was still there. I then checked under the Explorer again and could not find anything else that could make the noise. The dealer said they will have to keep the Explorer for a day or two to find the knocking noise. I would be too inconvenienced to be without the car that long so I guess I will live with the noise.

I have a 2023 explorer and have a light knocking noise under the front passenger side when I drive slowly down my driveway. I checked underneath on that side and tapped the chassis cover and it sounded like something was riding on top of the cover. I unfastened the cover and found a 3/4 " stone and smaller gravel on top of the cover. Eureka I thought I found the source. After refastening the cover I slowly drove down my driveway and guess what? The darn noise was still there. I then checked under the Explorer again and could not find anything else that could make the noise. The dealer said they will have to keep the Explorer for a day or two to find the knocking noise. I would be too inconvenienced to be without the car that long so I guess I will live with the noise.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Since the exact origin of some noises can be difficult to pinpoint, have you eliminated the passenger seatbelt knocking against the interior 'B' panel? I know mine does it at times over bumps. Given the driveway should be smooth, I can't think of anything that would cause that noise. I'm also guessing it is likely there when driving as well but more difficult to hear.

Peter

My 2023 Timberline rattle turned out to be the driver side strut....dealership replaced it and rattle is gone.

Back