• Register Today It's free!

What coolant is correct?

Stangfire

Reaction score
City, State
East Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Exploer XLT, 4.0L
I need to top up the coolant on my 2003 4.0L explorer I just got.

What coolant can I use?

I have Ford Orange and the normal green at home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to top up the coolant on my 2003 4.0L explorer I just got.

What coolant can I use?

I have Ford Orange and the normal green at home.
Ive got the green in mine and ya have to use the same as whats in it already as they have different crap in them that dont mix well together. You should have green in yours tho. So check the overflow tank but if all else fails check the owner manual. Hope that helps.

Ive got the green in mine and ya have to use the same as whats in it already as they have different crap in them that dont mix well together. You should have green in yours tho. So check the overflow tank but if all else fails check the owner manual. Hope that helps.

It's hard to tell exactly what's in the tank. Looks kind of yellow. I checked the manual and it says to use ford gold. I guess I'll have to go buy that or an equivalent from a parts store.

I miss the old days where everything took 50/50 green.

It's hard to tell exactly what's in the tank. Looks kind of yellow. I checked the manual and it says to use ford gold. I guess I'll have to go buy that or an equivalent from a parts store.

I miss the old days where everything took 50/50 green.

Well my explorer is an 04 but it should be the same or maybe mine somewhere along the line acquired the green color coolant. So idk... The green stuff I got said its good for Ford's so I'm rolling with it. No coolant leaks other than from the lower thermostat housing but thats because my wife took it to a shop while I wasnt around for a no heat issue. They replaced the thermostat and overtightened it and cracked the plastic housing. And still had no heat.... So I heard the blend door actuator popping shut so I replaced that and she works good.

Motorcraft Gold or Zerex G-05.

See "Usage Notes" on bottom of page 2.

I put Zerex G-05 in anything I flush.

Back