What could the problem be? Hearing Humming Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What could the problem be? Hearing Humming Noise

SeanEXP

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer EB
I took it into the dealership for the humming noise sometime in August and I still hear the noise. I took it back and they said the tires were choppy on the inside but I don't hear the noise all the time. They did something with the differential here is what the invoice states:

2 7L1Z*4A109*D KIT - SHAFT REPAIR
2 XW4Z*4221*AA BEARING ASY - BALL
2 F3LZ*4222*AA CUP
1 B7A*4662*A SPACER - PINION BEARING
1 C7AZ*4628*A CUP
1 F3TZ*4630*A CONE
1 B7A*4616*A CUP
1 B7A*4621*A BEARING ASHY - DRIVING PINION
1 BR3Z*4676*A SEAL ASY - OIL
4 XY*75W140*QL OIL - REAR AXLE
1 XL*3* ADDITIVE - OIL- FRICTION MODI
1 TA*30* SEALANT - SILICONE
4010D6 REAR AXLE DIFFERENTIAL BEARINGS - REPLACE
(4221) - l
98026 WESP
4010D8 REAR AXLE DIFFERENTIAL CASE ASSEMBLY-
OVERHAUL (4026) - l
98026 WESP

The notes states: they pulled the rear diff. out and removed the axles, removed lower knuckle bolts on both sides(frozen in place), pulled cover and ring and pinion out and started to pull bearings. replaced all the bearings and put diff back together and filled fluid. Glad I had that warranty.

All of this was done and I still hear a whining and humming noise, what could this noise be, at times it gets louder when I press on the gas. I was thinking it might be the torque converter but I could be wrong. The dealership said that it was choppy tires that was making this noise but I don't hear it all the time. Wouldn't I hear it all the time if the tires were choppy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like they overhauled the rear axle but didn't put a ring a nd pinion in which will give you a whine on the gasand dissappear when you let off gas. It also could be front or rear wheel bearings which are very common.

Might have to take it in to the next dealership in the next town because the guy said that they are pretty confident they did a good job and they claim the noise I am hear is from choppy tires on the inside. Now sure why they just didn't change the rings and pinions-

Does the warranty cover front and rear bearings, if not , would it be something I could do myself? How difficult of a job?

Most of the ford warranty's cover the bearings. Replacing the front is much easier then the rear if you had to do them yourself.

If Ford feels the tires are at fault, why not take a close look at them? If worn enough, throw on a new set, and resolve the tire question. imp

Back