What did I break? **Picture** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did I break? **Picture**

CamJ255

Reaction score
This is on a 2002 4x4 Ford Explorer v6 - Front Axel:

P2210002.jpg

What exactly did I break? Any suggestions for an upgrade of some sort since I have to replace this anyway?

My truck has made a grinding noise when turning pretty much since I bought it (70k miles) so I think this has probably been a long time coming. I'm at 130k miles now.

The 4x4 works probably only 30% of the time when I want it to. Otherwise it won't go into 4x4 or it will say its in 4x4 and nothing will happen. Further, it sometimes locks itself into 4x4 all on its own when its not needed. Do you guys think this is related / going to fix those problems?

Background:
I've had it in the shop for the 4x4 problem probably 3 times. Different shops. Got all new tires on it at the same time. Also, had the fluid checked and changed in the *well i'm not super technical, i think it was the transfer box or something related.* last year. All the wheel bearings have been replaced at this point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap you broke your axle housing.. Umm Did you hit it on a rock or anything? Time to get yourself another front axle housing and swap it out.

No. I did a doughnut in a grass field. :D Nothing hit it. Didn't seem like I was hardly stressing the car either. Wet grass, smooth surface. Just flipped her around a bit. I'm gonna guess 4x4 popped on quickly and broke it.

Is it just the housing? Whats inside of that thing? Think anything else broke? What causes the grinding when I turn? I figure while its out wouldn't it be best to just fix all my problems.

I'm going to guess its just a differential in there then the axle to the wheels. The differential is probably whats grinding right?

you will probably need a new front differential,

check the door tag for the code, than go to a pick and pull yard and find one the same ,,
it will be a cheaper fix that way,,

Holy Hell! I would say something has bound up inside your front differential for some reason. This would make a noise when turning, with your front wheels wanting to spin at different speeds but not able to, due to the bound up differential. It was the differential casing that finally gave up in the end.

I believe nothing you have done has caused this to occur. The previous owner would have noticed the noise and sold her off. A "time bomb" so to speak but an easy/cheap enough fix none the less, now you know what is wrong with it.

I am quite hard on my drive train. I do doughnuts on all types of surfaces, when no one is looking of course. I jump massive sand dunes with several feet of air and have never had any drive train problems what so ever.

If it were up to me I would get the whole front diff from left CV joint to right CV joint from a wreckers or ebay perhaps.

Thanks for the pic, I love to see carnage!;)

is it worth adding an aftermarket limited slip differential? I rarely find use for my 4x4 actually. Just if the price isn't much more or if the performance and reliability is that much better I may do that.

noob question: The differentials in my car are both open right? When I turn 4x4 on do they lock? Randomly my front axle would lock up and I always thought the 4x4 was just comming on by itself. But if the differentials are open, shouldn't I be able to turn while in 4x4?

Any quick guesstimates on what I'm going to be paying?

I personally would not worry about a limited slip differential because Explorers have a "control trac" system that binds up the open diffs electronically. I offroad quite alot and the only mod I use are All Terrain tires.

No. I did a doughnut in a grass field. :D Nothing hit it.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That explains it ! :p: Your auto 4x4 system most likely kicked in due to the doughnut wheel slippage on wet grass. Explorers aren't the best vehicles for doing doughnuts in. Get your yourself a 1987 or earlier rear wheel drive car and spin yourself dizzy in circles! :confused:

>>>>>>>>>Didn't seem like I was hardly stressing the car either.>>>>>>>

Too bad your Explorer can't speak on that one, but then again, your picture of the broken diff housing speaks a thousand words. :nono:

>>>>>>>>>> I'm gonna guess 4x4 popped on quickly and broke it. >>>>>>

You got it. That is my guess. The tight turning radius of the doughnut spin probably didn't help matters either.

>>>>>>>>>Is it just the housing? Whats inside of that thing? Think anything else broke? What causes the grinding when I turn? I figure while its out wouldn't it be best to just fix all my problems.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Gears that mesh together, I think a "Yoke" and seals are inside of the diff housing. You probably broke some other things (gear teeth) inside of it and that stress fractured the diff housing is my guess.

Just grab some chewing gum and apply to both sides of the crack it'll hold :D

If anything I would use JB Weld.

Any quick guesstimates on what I'm going to be paying?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Can't give you exact dollar numbers here, but "out of the a$$" :eek: for starters! Paying that is. Not gonna be a cheap fix.

you will probably need a new front differential,

check the door tag for the code, than go to a pick and pull yard and find one the same ,,
it will be a cheaper fix that way,,

said that 11 posts ago,,

Judging by the number of written responses, this breakage is of real serious interest! Not often seen, I think. Anyhow, if one looks at differential housings from DAY ONE up till now, almost nary a one will be found to be made of aluminum.

Wonder why? imp

Edit: IMO, that break likely had to have been caused by jammed ring & pinion gear teeth, probably from one tooth chipped or broken off, lodged very quickly between the next 2 meshing teeth, placed EXTREMELY high loading moment on the pinion gear, which normally tries to "climb" around the ring gear anyhow-- remember the wheel-hop at the dragstrips years ago? Pinion climbed upwards, wound-up leaf springs, traction broke loose, springs unwound as pinion (and housing) un-wound, then the cyle repeated itself. Just a thought, as to the cause, which is now a moot point.

Strictly conjecture.

Back