What do I REALLY need to tune-up on my 2002 4.0L? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do I REALLY need to tune-up on my 2002 4.0L?

mfay71

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer E.B.
Ok guys,

Speaking as a novice (I'm no mechanic, but pretty handy on repairs), I would like to know what REALLY needs to be done for a good tune-up on my 2002 EB Explorer.

FYI - I love this truck. I bought it from my dad 2 years ago, and absolutely love it...it's NEVER let me down. I've driven her cross country twice.

Stats on the truck:
- 150,000 miles
- Regularly maintained by my dad (oil changes, etc)
- 4.0L V6
- 2WD

To give you a gauge on my mechanic ability: Since I have owned the truck, I have changed both rear wheel bearings & rotors, replaced the rear A/C blower motor, and I have replaced the much maligned "door ajar" switches...all of which I replaced following instructions given on this forum. :)
Point being, I am pretty handy and not afraid to tackle a job given good instruction. I thank all of you in advance for that instruction. :)

So, given the above, what do I really need to replace for a good tune-up?
**I should also mention that I am currently getting around 14-16MPG hwy, but once in a while the truck will stall when I start it....but then start and run just fine.**
**Idles well, but I would say it is very slightly rough. It doesn't jump around on the RPM at all, just a little less than smooth.**
**Speaking to my dad, other than oil changes/filter changes, the last major tuneup was around 60,000 miles. I purchased the truck from him with around 112k miles.**

Thanks all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start with Motorcraft SP500 FineWire Platinum, Autolite APP103 Double Platinum, or Autolite XP103 Iridium spark plugs if you are approaching 100K since the last change. If original plug wires, you're due. OEM, or many quality aftermarket brands available. Replace the air filter, and clean the IAC, throttle body, and MAF sensor with the proper cleaners. Many projects here, I can link them if needed. GL

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1377660,parttype,7212

Thanks SWS, much appreciated.
I noticed that you didn't mention the fuel filter. Is this something you feel is not needed at the moment?

Oops! Replacing the fuel filter is probably the single most important part at your mileage. Interesting how it's a piece of cake for some, and a nightmare for others. Many variations of the line disconnect tool, search and read projects before attempting. Here's just one.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198626

Great, thanks!
Hopefully it is a piece of cake. :)

Back