What do these 3 colors mean for wires?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do these 3 colors mean for wires??

Ok, on a 2002 explorer for the parking lights, there are 3 wires goin to it, ..... black, brown and a white one with a blue stripe runnin down it. Im going to hook the washer leds up to the parking lights cuz otherwise i dont know how to hook them up to anything else. the battery someone told me i dont want to do because its 12 straight volts goin to it. I dunno. but anyways if someone could tell me what these 3 wire colors are that would be great and any other suggetions where to power these leds of of would be great.... thanks alot:cool:

not sure who told you not to use the battery, because that would work just as good. however it would require a switch which is more trouble than i can comphrend for this task. what you need is a test light, its pointer type thingthat you can puncture the insulation of a wire with and hook the other end to ground (if you get one you'll know what i mean.) and then it will light up if theres power to that wire. you might need a helper to click the parking lamps on for you to see which wire makes the light in the test light come on.

Black = Ground

Brown = Parking Lights On
White = Blinker

It might be vice versa for the Brown and White...

Originally posted by 02redX
the battery someone told me i dont want to do because its 12 straight volts goin to it.
What the ...:eek: :roll: :shoot: :banghead:

Ok, go up to whoever told you this, smack them in the head, and tell them Kadarom told them to never speak of electricity again.

1. That power wire going to the parking lights, it comes directly from the battery.
Well, there's a fuse in between but you need a properly sized fuse on everything to keep from destroying something.

2. The entire vehicle is 12 volts... sort of.
When the engine is off the battery supplies about 12.6 volts when fully charged and slowly drops while being used.
When the engine is running the alternator maintains everything at 13-15 volts depending on individual alternators and conditions.

3. DC voltage is DC voltage.

Back