What do you know about the Ford Escape? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you know about the Ford Escape?

NaplesBill said:
Why do you think it won't be able to do most of those things? As far as pulling the 3rd gen is actually stronger. The tow rating went up because of the IRS.

Ooooops, I didn't see what you were driving. I'll shut up now...

Actually, that sealed automatic transmission can't be denied. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

F14CRAZY said:
Ooooops, I didn't see what you were driving. I'll shut up now...

Actually, that sealed automatic transmission can't be denied. :p

It's ok, I'm not offended. I was just wondering what those concerns were based on. You are right about the sealed tranny but I believe it can be serviced but shouldn't require it. Who knows. If it blows then a manual conversion will happen.

I guess my concerns were mostly because the new Ex is a totally different design from the 1st and 2nd gen. I thought the older platform was a "tried and true" platform, and if it isn't broken, don't mess with it. I haven't heard any major complaints though, and from the looks of it they seem to be selling well. A lot of them are piloted by soccer moms and such, but they still are built as SUVs and not cars. Ford had to get rid of the Firestone/roll over image, though.

I don't like the sealed transmission idea because then the oil cannot be easily changed. It may very well last 100k miles or more, but it would seem logical that a transmission with regular oil and filter changes would last much longer. I agree with the manual transmission swap though :burnout:

F14CRAZY said:
I guess my concerns were mostly because the new Ex is a totally different design from the 1st and 2nd gen. I thought the older platform was a "tried and true" platform, and if it isn't broken, don't mess with it. I haven't heard any major complaints though, and from the looks of it they seem to be selling well. A lot of them are piloted by soccer moms and such, but they still are built as SUVs and not cars. Ford had to get rid of the Firestone/roll over image, though.

I don't like the sealed transmission idea because then the oil cannot be easily changed. It may very well last 100k miles or more, but it would seem logical that a transmission with regular oil and filter changes would last much longer. I agree with the manual transmission swap though :burnout:

I think it would be cool to have a manual but a lot of people I say that to think I'm crazy.

Just got caught up on all the posts...

Bill, I'm sure your Ex rides and handles much better than my 92 1st gen suspension. Like it or not, IFS/IRS is the wave of the future. Even the new military vehicles on the drawing board are fully independent suspension. The only complaint I've heard about the IRS is an axle breakage problem on the 2004's. This may be a bad parts lot, I don't know.

I just am not thrilled by the styling. The rounded, Expedition style makes it look fat, to me.

And, I'm really miffed that you can't get it with a manual transmission anymore. Maybe the 5 speed automatic is superior to a manual?

Getting back to the Escape, I like the look, though admittedly, its smaller. The V6 has more horsepower than my 4.0 OHV, but again, I'm annoyed that there is no manual trans option except for the stripped-down 2.3L XLS. Still, I'd probebly go for an Escape if I ahd to replace my Ex. The 4WD system in the Escape is actually better for my needs. Winter driving in NJ brings road conditions varying from dry to wet to slushy, to icy to deep snow back to slush, all in a single trip. Constantly switching in and out of 4WD is the Ex is a nuisance.

Think I'll wait and hope for some different engine/transmission options in the Escape or Explorer. A solid engine and drivetrain in a vehicle that looks like a truck and not a luxury chick car is more important to me than a fancy stereo or heated seats.

Great comments, guys!

Bob

Back