What do you know about the Ford Escape? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you know about the Ford Escape?

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
Thinking of buying one. Test drove the V-6 today XLT. Very nice I thought.

What do you know/what have you heard about them?

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My cousin's got one and she loves it, hasn't had any problems. I've driven it a few times and was surprised. I like it and have been debating getting one for a while now. Been leaning towards the hybrid though, it just makes sense in the city.

You can't have an Explorer and go to an Escape. That would be like a step back. You will feel cramp inside. Now if your budget doesn't allow it then it's a different story.

On the plus side, I heard it has the same horsepower as the 2nd generations so you know that thing MOVES!

The local newspaper wrote about the upcoming hybrid a couple weeks ago. Said it'll actually be quicker than the V6 gas.

My brother had an XLS a couple years back. It was pretty nice, but it's true that it's quite a bit smaller inside than an Explorer. Also, it doesn't have the "truckness" that an Explorer has.

The 4x4 Escapes don't have low range, do they?

A demonstration of not having truckness is that the 4x2 model and the 4x4 when disengaged are front wheel drive.

My brother calls the Escape an Explorer wanna-be or SploderBee

To me they look like a lifted station wagon, the Explorer is better...and they should have kept the Sport

I have 3 friends that own one and from what ive seen and heard from them they are pretty nice. I drove one of them a few days ago, it was a standard model I think but it was nice and comfy.

The Escape is not a replacement for the Sport or anything regarding the Explorer. Its a smaller, unibody SUV to compete with the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Hyundai Santa Fe, etc. I think its an extremely well done vehicle and one of the better ones to come from the Ford/Mazda buyout. 200 horses in a small vehicle like that means pretty decent power, wish I had that much from my 4.0 :( And if I wasn't planning on towing much or wheelin', an Escape would be a great buy. Great handling, good mileage, decent room, not a bad buy at all.

I test drove both the V6 and 4-banger and was impressed by both. Of course the V6 has the power and auto tranny. I'm considering one when the lease on my '01 Sport is up (September). I wish Ford had continued with the Sport, but oh well. :( The Escape will still do most of the things I want it to - although anything more than easy off-roading will be out...

My wife has had one for three years now. It never ceases to amaze me with it's versatility. She has the V6 XLT 4x4. It gets good gas mileage (20-22 mpg), has great power and more interior room than you'd think. With it's 16" wheels and tires, it sits almost has high as my Ex with F150 rear springs and a TT. The front brakes lasted 42K miles and the Conti-Tracs have a long way to go. There's been two minor recalls, a seat belt issue and the ECM needed to be re-programmed. She'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

woody: looks like you'll have to wait for the hybrid, the first "batch" is supposed to go to the East & West Coasts.

X: you'd be surprised how roomy it is. The difference between the Excape and the Ex is mostly the space behind the rear seats. It's also a little narrower.

F14: Correct, there is no low range (no transfer case). And, yes, when the 4x4 model in in 2WD, it's FWD. I understand the new ('05) 4x4 model doesn't even have the dash switch any more, it's automatic.

I think you'd be happy with it - Dave.

F14CRAZY said:
The local newspaper wrote about the upcoming hybrid a couple weeks ago. Said it'll actually be quicker than the V6 gas.

Actually the Hybrid is suppose to be a little slower off the line than the V6 from what I have read (and heard from people's experiences).

I think that it is a great idea, but for the $3000 price premium over the V6, I am not sold on it.

INDEPENDENT SUSPENTION DAM IT!!!! (Unless im wrong;))

Correct Sir.

IFS & IRS

I've rented one for a week a couple of years ago when a few of the my friends went to Orlando with my girlfriend and I. It was a V6 XLT. It may look small but we can seat all five comfortably and still had plenty of space for our luggage. Gas mileage was around 18, 19 mpg, that's with my heavy foot too!! Power is awesome...a whole lot better than my truck. If I have a chance to trade my truck in, the Escape would be a likely candidate, unless if I find an awesome deal on a Chrysler 300M.

blichy said:
Actually the Hybrid is suppose to be a little slower off the line than the V6 from what I have read (and heard from people's experiences).

I think that it is a great idea, but for the $3000 price premium over the V6, I am not sold on it.

Hey, I read it from the Lansing State Journal, a Michigan newspaper, and Michigan is the place of Ford Motor Company and the vehicle capital of the world!

I might be wrong though (propaganda)

Can't really say why, but I have become quite attached to the escapes somewhat. All people I have talked to like them quite a bit. If I had the extra money I would like to buy one as another vehicle. Sure there not as roomy as an Explorer but if you want the roomines then buy an Explorer, not an Escape. It's all in what you want. They get really good gas mileage compared to most explorers out there and they have some good power with that v-6 under the hood. It's quite sporty too, I think. I think it would be a good buy too. For me personally, I think an Escape would actully suit my needs better. I never haul anything, but I bought my 3rd Explorer because "I might" someday and I needed the extra room. I have never done that and I won't ever. I use my Explorer to haul myself around pretty much. The escape gets better gas mileage than my Current explorer does and it would have enough power to get around the mountains of Colorado too. If I had to do it over, I would buy and Escape over my Current Explorer. I may trade my 5.0 explorer for an escape tomoroww.......No, no I won't. :) Gotta love that 302. At any rate, Good luck on the Escape if you do purchase one. I think you'll be happy with it. It will all depend on what you want to do and if It will suit your needs. I am sure you'll find it will, and more.

[QUOTE='96explorereddiebauer]I've rented one for a week a couple of years ago when a few of the my friends went to Orlando with my girlfriend and I. It was a V6 XLT. It may look small but we can seat all five comfortably and still had plenty of space for our luggage. Gas mileage was around 18, 19 mpg, that's with my heavy foot too!! Power is awesome...a whole lot better than my truck. If I have a chance to trade my truck in, the Escape would be a likely candidate, unless if I find an awesome deal on a Chrysler 300M.[/QUOTE]
Shouldn't be hard, nobody wants a 300M now that the 300C is out. MMMM that thing is sweet, I love those cars, and I'm almost always anti-Chrysler too.

F14CRAZY said:
Hey, I read it from the Lansing State Journal, a Michigan newspaper, and Michigan is the place of Ford Motor Company and the vehicle capital of the world!

I might be wrong though (propaganda)

I think I read it in the Det News. I have heard it from friends on the program (fellow Ford employees).

X~FACTOR said:
You can't have an Explorer and go to an Escape. That would be like a step back. You will feel cramp inside.

That is not true. My brother has one and there is as much or more roominess in the front seat than the 2nd Gen Explorers. I wouldn't call it a step down either, more like a step in a different direction. They were built for a different purpose than the Explorer. They also get better gas mileage, ride better, and have better performance.

Would I get one? No! Too car like for me! Would I recommend one? Depends on the needs of the potential buyer.

Escape comments

Well, I'm looking at the Escape, too. Not ready to run out and buy anything, but my '92 X is 12 years old and has 170,00 miles on it. Someday it will need to be replaced or retired from daily driving and kept for hauling and camping.

The Escape dimensions are not all that different from the 1st gen Explorer Sport.

No, it does not have a two-speed transfer case, but the auto trans has "L" doesn't it? Should be good enough for most uses, though I use 4X4 low in my Ex in the snow.

You can get more opinions on http://www.escape-central.com. This site is similar to Explorer Forum, but most of the mods are cosmetic! There seem to be a number of complaints about the auto trans. Not hard failures, but sluggish performance, noise and vibration issues.

I really wish the Escape V6 were available with a manual trans. The stick is only available in the stripped-down 4 cylinder XLS version. Is a 2.3L big enough for this vehicle, ssuming no towing?

Then again, I wish the Ex were still available with a stick and they had'n restyled it to look like an Expedition! Alas, manual trannies are fast disappearing. Seems like they are only available in base model 2 liter vehicles.

I'm waiting to see what the new Freestyle will be like, but I have my doubts about the CVT transmission. Again, I haven't heard about a manual option. I bet the Freestyle will have much more cargo room than the Escape. We'll see.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've driven one before. They're alrite. Looking at the dash reminds me of a minivan. But I still like it. Power seems good with the V6 and it has the same AUTO 4WD as the Explorer on it is FWD until it senses slipping and also has a locked mode. But no HI.

Bwana Bob- and the manual only comes in 2WD now :(

And whats with the 8K tach. Good Lord!!

Back