what do you think of the 2002 explorer? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what do you think of the 2002 explorer?

what do you think of the 2002 explorer?

• i like it!

Votes: 154 53.8%
  • i think ford messed up:(

Votes: 132 46.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poll closed to stop poll spammers....you CAN still reply to the thread though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen the new (redone) Merc.Mountaineer coming with 292hp 3v motor for 06 and a 6 speed auto.

Crankcase said:
Poll closed to stop poll spammers....you CAN still reply to the thread though.

what is a poll spammer and is that even possble

I like the '02's that have the front end of the sport tracs (obviously). it's kinda that rare factor. They're different: they don't really look like the rest of Fords product line (except the trac of course). The higher up 02's and 03's look kinda off though.

I have an 2002 and i never knew there was any difference...

Well, mines an 10/01, which by all means is 02. But mines really a generation 2.5 X.

davidmmm69 said:
what is a poll spammer and is that even possble

The polls would bump up as "new posts" when somebody would vote on them...even if they were 4 year old threads. Some people would vote on 20+ polls at a time, flooding the new posts area with long dead threads.

Msupertek said:
I own a 2002 Ford Explorer and I am a Ford Senior Master Tech, and while driving hundreds of them let me tell you the six banger has more pep then the v-8. If you don't believe me go down to a dealer and punch it on a test drive, the v-6 seems to have a lot more pep in it. The guys and I in the shop think its a joke when you put a v-8 in a vehicle and it seems to have less power than the v-6. I love Fords but they need to get it together and tune that 4.6l v-8 up a little, cause I know it is a lot more capable then the way it runs in the new explorers. Just my opinion, and by the way me and my wife love the Explorer, I have had it 2 years and it has 31k and has only had to get repaired once (which was just the right rear window motor connector backed out). Other than that it is one of the most dependable vehicles Ford has put on the market (thats just my opinion ).:D
Msupertek, maybe you can address all the issues everyone seems to be having with the 3rd gens. Here are the major issues I have found after searching since the purchase of my 02.

Rear Diff
Tranny
Transfer Case
Liftgate hinges

Please list any more that you are aware of.

Thanks

aren't they all repaired meaning the rear diff wasnlt there an additive for the oil that stopped the problems...
tranny has as many problems as any other explorer???
and yes there was a recall to fix or replace the liftgate hinges..

Not sure about an additive, I have read that they commonly leak which leads to premature wear and failure. I plan on checking my rear diff.

I'm sure they don't have any more significant problems than any other vehicle, they all have there problems. I'm just trying to address the most common ones I have found so far, and how to prevent them.

I'm just now getting into this '02 thing...

Well i just got one about two weeks ago. I love the quietness in the ride the most. Very spacious as far as seating and cup holders and such go. I don't have the onboard computer so it gives me an extra "throw you junk there" spot. IMO, the interior is very stylish keeping up with other modern makes. I have leather, and is very comfy. I really appreciate the plastic cladding around the exterior (in the xlt models) as as far as i'm concerned this allows rocks and other debrit to hit the bumper w/out scratching the paint. Allowing for less noticable blemishes.

The 4.0 sohc tends to be sluggish ONLY when the a/c is blasting and with all three rows filled up. I had the 5.0 before and this compares very closely (power wise) with that. Not near the tq, but hp compensates as i feel that the hp range starts lower compensating for low tq. Passing speeds are impressive with the 5 speed tranny. It seems to drop (at about 50mph) at least one or two gears when given the pedal power.

Over all very satisfied as i have owned all three generations of explorers.

Glad to hear that you like it..

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back