• Register Today It's free!

What do you think of this idea?

coloradobound

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Tacoma Dcab
Well, gotta ask another tow hook question. I know people have used blocks to drop hooks below the front bumper valance or what ever its called. I have a 1994 XLT 4 door 4x4 with the factory foglights, meaning that my frame ends right behind the lights. I want to keep the lights. So how about using a block to move the hooks to the outside of the frame. Bolting and welding them. Would this be solid enough? Or am I just sunk on having towhooks? I figure if I use some good solid hooks and solid steel blocks, weld and bolt them to the frame, this would be strong enough. Am I right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything is possible. Take trailer hitches for example. I have built a few. I haven't verifed frame placement on my 94 since I read this. but I would construct your idea as 3/8 inch plate in a rectancle large enough to cover as much frame width as you can and at least 6" length. Weld 2 inch square tube, 1/4 inch thk, to the plate at whatever angle is necessary to get outboard and dropped enough. Weld a 2inch by 1/4 thk angle onto the end to mount the hook. Bolt each plate to the frame with 4 or 5 high-strength 1/2 inch bolts as far from each other as you can.

Well, wasn't thinking of square tubing, I was thinking of a solid steel block. Thought that'd be better for strength.

From an engineering standpoint, the center of the block is providing a small fraction of the total bending strength. It is mostly adding gross weight and not much else. It is also a heat sink making it harder to get a good weld. Structurally, solid sections are bad choices. That is why most stuff is made of tube section. That is why I beams work. Along this line- you should always drill you house floor joists in the center when running wires through.

Back