What does the future hold for the Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does the future hold for the Explorer?

Chrisl0

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' LTD
Well I will need another vehicle in the next year or two and as it is right now I am strongly considering the GMC Acadia. It's an impressive vehicle, but the price is a bit high (Topping $40k for a fully loaded model). So I decided to keep my options opened to other vehicles.

I sat in a fully loaded 06' Mountaineer, with the Nav and DVD player. If I was to buy the vehicle this would be the same exact vehicle I would buy but without the DVD player and a different exterior color.

The interior is very impressive and the third row is very roomy :thumbsup:. I feel the Explorer looks better on the outside :thumbsup:. But I prefer the Mountaineer since it has a AWD system :thumbsup: over an 4WD system that the Explorer has. I don't do off roading so I prefer something that compensates for poor road conditions automatically.

I also like the fact that the Explorer/Mountaineer offers the 6 SP Auto :thumbsup:. I notice that it improves the fuel economy and performance.

I also like that Ford offers that Keypad to access certain functions from outside your vehicle :thumbsup: and that the vehicles offer power folding third rows :thumbsup:.

My gripes with the Mountaineer/Explorer are the following:

The fuel mileage :thumbdwn:. The vehicles only get 15-20 mpg, in this day and age that is very low. That is also just EPA estimates so it can be even lower. I know it's a V8 and all but I wish Ford offered a V6 with like 250 HP/Torque because I would surrender a little HP for better gas mileage.

A mast antenna :thumbdwn:? I never knew that 2006 Explorer's/Mountaineers have them. I knew the early 90's model years had them, but I didn't expect to walk into the show room and see it on a 2006 vehicle that cost $35+.

I think this is totally unacceptable, they should have a integrated window antenna. Why they don't have this feature especially on the Limited Model is a total puzzle to me. Most vehicles at this price have hidden antennas and these vehicles should also. The mast antenna makes the vehicle look ugly, and its a prime target for vandalism.

Where are some of the options :thumbdwn:? I was expecting to see some options like Cooled Seats, Power Lift Gate, and possibly even a HUD. Yet I don't see these options on Ford's build page. Ford needs to offer these features as options.

Will I get screwed on the reliability :thumbdwn:? I noticed allot of people here complaining about the Ford Auto transmissions and former Ford customers complaining about the reliability of the vehicle. I don't want to drop thousands of dollars on the vehicle when I buy and have it the shop constantly sucking me dry for more money.

So that brings me down to my first question, what will Ford offer on the vehicle in the near future? I know this vehicle was redesigned but I expect Ford to add more features and change things as time passes. If anyone knows or expect certain features that will be available in the future please let me know.

I considered a wide variety of SUV for my needs. A short list of a few:

Chrysler Pacifica- Eliminated, overpriced and I absolutely don't trust its reliability.

Honda Pilot- Eliminated, third row painfully small and does not offer all the features I wanted. Loved the Nav system though.

Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon- Eliminated, (I really loved this vehicle, love the looks/options since the redesign) Too expensive $49K+, Fuel Efficiency.

Mazda CX-7- Eliminated, too small, and requires premium fuel.

Hyundai Santa Fe- Eliminated, (Looks great since the redesign and cheap) interior too small, no navigation system option, and missing other important options.

GMC Acadia- Very Likely to buy, Love the Room, Looks, Power, Fuel Efficiency, Options, etc. What I don't like is the price.

So thanks for spending your time reading my thread, if you can help me with the information I need I would really be grateful. But please understand the criticisms I made about the Explorer/Mountaineer were only to compare the pros/cons of the vehicle. If you didn't like what I said I am sorry, but thats how I feel on the subject. If you have nothing nice to say then don't post in my thread. Thanks again and have a good day :D.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a look at the '07 Mazda CX-9 Should solve most of your issues. ;)

I remember reading some article about the Pilot that it was rated the most gas efficient. Maybe if you want room, luxury, and gas efficiency, you might want to look into an SUV hybrid like the Lexus. The Prius is a little small. My neighbor has one, but it seems to hold a lot. He picked me up from the airport, and managed to get all of my luggage into it. It seems to have a lot of leg room too.

I remember reading some article about the Pilot that it was rated the most gas efficient. Maybe if you want room, luxury, and gas efficiency, you might want to look into an SUV hybrid like the Lexus. The Prius is a little small. My neighbor has one, but it seems to hold a lot. He picked me up from the airport, and managed to get all of my luggage into it. It seems to have a lot of leg room too.

Well I would never buy a Hybrid vehicle, they are BS. If they offered a Diesel I would pounce on it, great gas mileage and extremely reliable. I also looked at the Lexus RX 350 and its too expensive and too small. The only other SUV Lexus has is a monster and cost a ton of money.

Also thank you to the person that told my about the CX-9 it looks great, all the features I want. But will it be roomy?

A neighbor of mine with 5 kids needed more room. His Honda minivan was getting too small with all of those car seats. He decided to get a Suburban. That thing is huge, and very high up for a stock vehicle! I'm sure it probably eats a ton of gas. I guess the next closest thing to it would be something like an Expedition/Navigator.

Also thank you to the person that told my about the CX-9 it looks great, all the features I want. But will it be roomy?

You got it;) By the way mileage 19/24 I belive. It the same 3.5lt that the new ford edge and the new lincolns cars have. I'm sure it will be roomy. and is a mazda so it shouldn't break the bank. I also really like the look of these new mazda's Very nice:thumbsup:

You got it;) By the way mileage 19/24 I belive. It the same 3.5lt that the new ford edge and the new lincolns cars have. I'm sure it will be roomy. and is a mazda so it shouldn't break the bank. I also really like the look of these new mazda's Very nice:thumbsup:

Yea its an impressive vehicle, thanks for telling me about it. I will consider it when I go car shopping.

Back