• Register Today It's free!

What Engine can I install

DHouse

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Explorer XLT V6 SOHC
I am planning ahead and have begun looking for a 4.0 L SOHC motor. What motors can I use that will work? What years? I read about using a Mustang motor if I used my top end. Any advice and direction would be helpful and appreciated .
Thanks
98 explorer XLT 4wd 4.0L SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SOHC V6 replacement blocks

I believe the only differences in any Ford SOHC V6 long block are the crankcase breather, the fuel rails, the harmonic balancer and the balance shaft. You should be able to use a long block from an Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger, Mustang, or even a Discovery III. Several forum members have replaced their balance shaft engine with a no balance shaft engine and had no problems. The third generation Explorers seem to be more prone to harmonic balancer failure. In 1999 Ford went to a returnless fuel system with the fuel pressure regulator mounted in the fuel tank instead of at the fuel rail. There is at least one thread that lists the specific differences when using a 2005 and later Mustang long block.

TT 429 or go home

Thanks for the info Street Rod
I am looking at a motor from a 2000 explorer. The guy says its a 4.0 L but I don't know anything about the motors from that year. Are you saying that I will need to use my fuel rails? Do you thinks that the timing chain guides and tensioner will have had the newer updated parts?

White Shadow what is a tt 429 ? it sounds like it hurts.

latest updates

The timing chain related updates were incorporated in the 2002 and later models. I purchased a 2000 Sport with 150,000 miles. The rear timing chain guide assembly was broken.

As a minimum you'll need to use your 1998 fuel rails, upper intake manifold, and engine wiring harness.

Back