What exhaust to get?

Alezone

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
99 Explorer Sport (2dr), SOHC V6...

few days ago I realized the muffler is cracking and it sounds like it's falling apart. as I accelerate it gets louder and louder.

what's the most reasonable priced oem/aftermarket exhaust (muffler) replacement out there? I'm not familiar with the size of inlet/outlet of the muffler, please help me out here...

my priority:
1. Price
2. I want it to be quiet, so my passengers can enjoy watching movies... (stock one is loud in this case)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want a preformance exhaust that sounds deep but isn't loud use the Flowmaster 50. They are reasonably priced (for an aftermarket muffler compared to the others), you'll save on gas, and your (guy) friends will think it sounds cool. Otherwise any muffler shop can hook you up w/ a replacement that will take care of the noise your current one makes, plus it'll be the cheapest option.

Well I have a 98 Explorer and I am going to replace my exhaust. But I am getting the Cat-Back system from EE. Do you want a whole system from the cat-backs on, or do you just need a muffler? If it is just the muffler, seems allot of people here are very satisfied with the Flowmasters 40, 50, and 70 series.

I'm looking for a muffler only, not performance

talking about cheapest replacement, how much would it be?

(fortunately the X is my daily/winter car)

Originally posted by Alezone
my priority:
2. I want it to be quiet, so my passengers can enjoy watching movies... (stock one is loud in this case)
Most aftermarket muffler will add that deep rumble sound that you don't want. A stock muffler supposedly is pretty quite. You probably have some leaks or cracks in your exhaust to hear loud sounds inside.

X~Factor, we are have again. i still do not know what size pipe i have i am thinking 2.25"

as for the flowmaster 40, it is the one that i am giving because it is the loudest made.

the FM 70 is one of the queitest, but still louder then stock. goodluck

you want it to be QUIET!!! If i was going to spend money i would at least make it sound good , but thats just a 16 year olds opinion, and who ever listens to them.

hehe~ yea i want it to be QUIET!!! and the replacement that I've got is doing a great job!

I'm getting all the SOUND pleasure from my other car, which is loud enough to keep me away from listening to any music... :cool:

Which muffler did you end up with? The interior noise gets to me sometimes too. I wish i had room to mount 2 different mufflers one for performance and one to be quiet.

dynomax super turbo....
quiet.. and gives u performance... not to mention dirt cheap! :D

Back