• Register Today It's free!

What Fluid Is The Right Fluid?

Wolfie_85

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I've read a few threads and have not come across anything I would consider solid. What transmission fluid, out of all of them currently readily available, is correct for the A4LD in a 94?

Mercon (just plain ole Mercon) is very difficult to procure at a parts store these days. I read "Use nothing but Mercon V!", followed by, "NEVER use Mercon V! Something is different" in the same thread. Not conclusive at all! :p

Up to this point, I only owned GM ptoducts. People in my family had Fords (no, I was never anti-Ford, I love my Explorer, or I wouldn't invest this much thought into it), so, never encountered this!

I just want a fluid that won't tear anything up, wear it out faster, etc. Also, I have a strong desire to not drain the transmission right now, so info on compatibility?

Thanks guys. You always come through when I'm stumped. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford released a TSB (06-14-4) that says we can use Mercon V in our Explorers along with a bunch of other vehicles.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Mercon Fluid ford_tsb_06144.pdf

I don't have any personal experience in this. I've swapped several quarts of NAPA Mercon fluid which is supposed to be Valvoline. I've contacted Valvoline about the A4LD and using their MaxLife synthetic ATF and they say it's compatible with all Mercon types;

As for the transmission in your Explorer, our Valvoline MaxLife ATF is a unique multi-vehicle product that covers all Ford Mercon specifications from Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP, and even the latest Mercon LV. The product is 100% compatible for mixture or as a direct replacement in your A4LD transmission.

That's the route I'm going to go once I get a chance to drop the pan and fix the leak.

Thanks! I was thinking Mercon V would be alright, but with all the conflicting info, it was hard to tell. I don't have the funds for a $1,000+ experiment with my transmission, so I thought I would ask before I dumped the wrong fluid in. :)

I may go with the Valvoline option you're going with when I get around to a fluid change in the spring.

You can use either mercon or mercon V no problems. I heard when mercon V first came out they had some compatibility issues, but they have been worked out. I use Valvoline max life full syn. mercon V in all my transmissions, but you can use anything as long as you change it regularly.

Topped off with Mercon V. Seems to be happy, so I am too. I will go to synthetic when I change it.

Thanks, guys. :) Like I said, I'd rather ask a silly question than have to pay later by not asking it. :p

Some people say there's issues if you drain really old and dirty fluid out and flush it with fresh new fluid, it can break sludge/debris loose and cause problems.

I'm of the opinion that it'd be a good idea to introduce some new fluid (2 quarts maybe) and add a filter of some kind whether it's a spin-on or Magnefine. Either way, that gives you the opportunity to pump out a couple quarts while you cut lines to install the filter. This introduces some new fluid to help clean and then the filter traps the nasty stuff.

After a few hundred miles, drop the pan, clean it up, pan back on, fill with fluid, disconnect the filter line, run the engine while the tranny pumps the new fluid from the pan, through the transmission and out the filter hose. During this time, you should be filling the pan back up via the dipstick tube, this will make sure you're pushing the dirty fluid out with clean fluid, that is a proper flush.

I've read a few threads and have not come across anything I would consider solid. What transmission fluid, out of all of them currently readily available, is correct for the A4LD in a 94?

Mercon (just plain ole Mercon) is very difficult to procure at a parts store these days. I read "Use nothing but Mercon V!", followed by, "NEVER use Mercon V! Something is different" in the same thread. Not conclusive at all! :p

Up to this point, I only owned GM ptoducts. People in my family had Fords (no, I was never anti-Ford, I love my Explorer, or I wouldn't invest this much thought into it), so, never encountered this!

I just want a fluid that won't tear anything up, wear it out faster, etc. Also, I have a strong desire to not drain the transmission right now, so info on compatibility?

Thanks guys. You always come through when I'm stumped. :)

Here is our lookup for your Explorer.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleLookupPage.aspx?url2=1994+FORD TRUCKS+EXPLORER+X&zo=1667299

Looks like it takes the siganature series ATF.
Shoot me a pm if you have any questions, or want me to get you more info

You can get the Dexron III/Mercon ATF as "Dex/Merc" automatic transmission fluid at any parts store or automotive department. It's literally the same exact stuff, the terms "Dexron III" and "Mercon" just can't be used anymore since they are no longer licensed except for the newer formulas.

Mercon V is fine to top off with since it's compatible with Dexron III/Mercon (Dex/Merc) ATF, but it's slightly thinner fluid, so it can be a better idea to do a drain and refill with Dex/Merc ATF.

Some people have used Mercon V in their transmission with good results, others have had issues and slipping/poor shifting. No way to know for sure what these people used or how much Mercon V was in there compared to the Dex/Merc.

It may be that older transmissions with more miles on them don't respond as well to having the slightly thinner Mercon V in them, or it could just be that the earlier Mercon V formula wasn't compatible with the existing Dex/Merc ATF so it caused chemical issues when mixing the two.

If you want to be on the safe side, use Dex/Merc ATF and change the transmission fluid about every 30,000 miles.

Anime, that is perhaps the most informative thing anyone has said so far. Thank you! I was worried about a "universal" fluid not being the best idea. There are a lot of opinions on the Mercon V. I may go full synthetic, as I've heard very few complaints about it. I also appreciate knowing Ford's stance that Mercon V is their choice. I love this forum!

As for First Place Oils, I might consider it. Still researching a final choice. A tranny fluid change should happen in spring.

Well my A4LD has had Mercon V in it all its life. No external filter, just changed fluid every 30k to 50k miles. No tranny rebuilds or anything. I parked it with 220k miles because of an expensive (electronic) engine problem, but the tranny is still fine.

Valvoline still makes a full synthetic Dex/Merc ATF under their "MaxLife" branding.

I have used the Castrol synthetic ATF (no longer made) and it can be worthwhile, but it can be hard to find any other good synthetic ATF - even the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, while "compatible", has moved on to a different formulation since Dexron III/Mercon is no longer the "standard" ATF in modern vehicles.

You probably can use Mercon V - I'm just putting the warning out there that, despite Ford's "recommendation" (what else are they going to recommend? Not a competitor's product.), the "BEST" fluid for the transmissions in the 91-94 might still be Dex/Merc ATF rather than Mercon V, due to the viscosity.

Oil and transmission fluid tech has come a long ways in 20+ years and so while it is now possible to get "better" lubricaton from a thinner fluid, lots of systems (especially transmissions) still work best with the fluid that is the viscosity they were originally designed for.

It's also one thing to use a newer/thinner fluid in a rebuilt or low-mileage automatic transmission, and quite another to use a newer/thinner fluid in an older model, high-mileage transmission. Many older transmissions do not respond well to a thinner fluid, some respond fine at first since the fluid, when new, is about the same viscosity as the worn out old fluid, but after a few hundred/thousand miles, the fluid viscosity gets thinner and then the transmission doesn't do so well with the now even thinner fluid.

Hence my suggestion, both in terms of cost and reliability, is to just get the brand name Dex/Merc ATF you prefer or that's on sale, and do a drain and fill every 30,000 miles.

If you want to go with Mercon V, or a semi or full synthetic, that's up to you. Just if you notice any issues with shifting or slipping, and you're sure the fluid level is correct, you may want to go back to a Dex/Merc fluid.

Back