What Ford SHOULD have done with the 2016 Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Ford SHOULD have done with the 2016 Explorer

I don't consider it a sports car, from a long sports car ownership history.

would you not have considered it with a push button and the paddles. since you know they all have the paddles.

and the floor stick doesn't do anything other than select a mode in the transmission computer - and I guess for a limited amount take it out of park.

(IE when the battery is deal the console shift lever is useless)
I don't consider the Sport a sports car either and I did not say or infer that it is. I know the shifter is nothing but an electronic switch. It's a personal preference. Center console push button or dial with paddle shifters would be ok for me. As I said, I would not have bought the Sport if it had a column shifter. It's just a matter of different preferences for different people.

The tone of your email appears condescending and I do not appreciate it. I've been involved in motorsports for over 40 years and I've built, enjoyed, trashed, loved and lost a lot of great rides across the years. The Sport is a whelm for me, a chance to play with something relatively inexpensive when we identified a need for a people / stuff hauler. If I want another sports car, I'll go buy one.

Anyway, thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Napalm, Thank you. Very helpful.

I'm currently looking at swapping in my lease for a new 2016 Sport. 401A, Dual Buckets, and Moonroof....
Hi Steve04KU, I just wanted to say that I do not agree at all that the Sport does not have torque steer. After 8,000 miles, I can say that my 2015 Sport has torque steer that intrudes on the sporting driving experience. It is distracting at lower speeds and it borders on unacceptable at high speeds under heavy acceleration. I've had the alignment checked by a reasonably competent dealer and I check my tire pressures every two weeks. Everything is spot on. My 2000 AWD ML430 would bury the Sport from a handling standpoint. So will an Audi Q7.

This is a subjective topic, but I strongly advise that you drive a Sport in spirited fashion prior to purchase if this is a priority point for you. I knew about the torque steer characteristics prior to purchase and it's ok for me. I don't have an axe to grind on this subject, but I'd rather not have to deal with it.

I don't consider the Sport a sports car either and I did not say or infer that it is. I know the shifter is nothing but an electronic switch. It's a personal preference. Center console push button or dial with paddle shifters would be ok for me. As I said, I would not have bought the Sport if it had a column shifter. It's just a matter of different preferences for different people.

The tone of your email appears condescending and I do not appreciate it. I've been involved in motorsports for over 40 years and I've built, enjoyed, trashed, loved and lost a lot of great rides across the years. The Sport is a whelm for me, a chance to play with something relatively inexpensive when we identified a need for a people / stuff hauler. If I want another sports car, I'll go buy one.

Anyway, thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

I thought your response was a bit condescending as well, hence the tone. And what I'll also call the problem of internet forums - without face to face verbal discussions you loose much in the communications.

also thanks for your service.

which M3 and is that your camaro.

Since this is a thread on what Ford should have done.

As I said before - I really wish I could have gotten the sport suspension mods on a non-sport model.

I also wish the sport model wasn't FWD biased in the driveline.

I thought your response was a bit condescending as well, hence the tone. And what I'll also call the problem of internet forums - without face to face verbal discussions you loose much in the communications.

also thanks for your service.

which M3 and is that your camaro.
hi Napalm, I agree with you that it is hard to read intentions when communicating in Internet forums, glad we worked through that :thumbsup:

My M3 was a 1995 E36, so 240hp straight six. Not much by today's standards but a great car in its time. Regrettably, the Camaro 1LE belongs to Bob Bondurant. My wife and I attended one of his high performance driving schools last February. Great guy, we had a blast and learned a lot. Had a lot of track time also. That's my wife chasing me in the white Camaro SS.

Napalm, torque steer can be downright scary at high speeds if you aren't expecting it. It's definitely an issue, but one I can live with.

If you aren't or haven't experienced torque steer, then you probably aren't having enough fun with your Sport. :)

I'm glad I don't have those LEDs around my headlights. I hate those things.

I like them but you can turn off the Daytime Running lights if you like.

98, 02, 05, 08, 11, 13 and now 16 :usa:

Napalm, torque steer can be downright scary at high speeds if you aren't expecting it. It's definitely an issue, but one I can live with.

If you aren't or haven't experienced torque steer, then you probably aren't having enough fun with your Sport. :)

I don't own a sport I just test drove 2 2016 models before buying my XLT. but in the drives I didn't then the torque steer was unmanageable, let alone scary. I did flog one of them pretty hard, but nothing like a track experience - I do like the sport sway bars. chalk it up to expectations - I've not driven a FWD car in the last 10 years that didn't torque steer, so I expect the explorer to. specially the sport model.

I read somewhere on here that for tuning there is a method to make the sport engage the 50/50 torque split F/R sooner on dry pavement. I think that would be worth a closer look. something it should do from the factory IMO but I understand the trade-off's.

hi Napalm, I agree with you that it is hard to read intentions when communicating in Internet forums, glad we worked through that :thumbsup:

My M3 was a 1995 E36, so 240hp straight six. Not much by today's standards but a great car in its time. Regrettably, the Camaro 1LE belongs to Bob Bondurant. My wife and I attended one of his high performance driving schools last February. Great guy, we had a blast and learned a lot. Had a lot of track time also. That's my wife chasing me in the white Camaro SS.

buddy of mine had a 97 model E36. it was a fun, nice car but he wrecked it one day in the rain (bad combo of events all around). His replacement was a e46 04 model with the smg

I'm glad bimmer offers a smaller M sedan again.

Back