What Ford SHOULD have done with the 2016 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Ford SHOULD have done with the 2016 Explorer

5.0l EB and I dont care about exterior look at all! :)

Like this one:
http://www.shelby.com/buildone/2015SS-Options.asp?rem=588

AVAILABLE OPTIONS
Shelby/Ford Racing Supercharger, 650 HP, Black (Included)
Shelby/Whipple Supercharger, 750+ HP, Black ($5,000)
Shelby/Whipple Supercharger, 750+ HP, Polished ($5,000)
Shelby/Kenne Bell Supercharger, 750+ HP, Black ($5,000)
Shelby/Kenne Bell Supercharger, 750+ HP, Polished ($5,000)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, forgot to add...should've made the gas tank bigger. 18 gals just doesn't cut it.

Remote Start IS on all 5th Gen. Explorers. I assume it's on the 2016 the same way. You just have to get your keys and take it to the dealer to have it activated.

having to go beg a dealer to go in with a scan tool and activate a software patch to run an option Ford charges for in the build sheet isn't the same thing. And I think you might have to have new fobs for that to work too. since the standard fob doesn't have the button for it.

why - because it also doesn't have the button for the power lift gate. or the ones I saw for base model 2016's didn't have them. In fact I think it might have even had a standard key - but I could be wrong it's been a while.

but ford charges for remote start, with the technology package - that included the power liftgate and the foot jobbydo.

instead of a column shifter I'd have equally settled for a push button thing like the lincolns have. (MKZ I think?)

It's all electronically actuated anyway - might as well IMO. but I'd have taken a column shifter if that also brought a bigger center console with more storage spaces and the like. I mean it's nice now but imagine how much room is lost to that stick being there.

besides it's not like there'd be anyone wanting to have a bench seat and actually have the ability for the wifey to sit next to you. :eek:

having to go beg a dealer to go in with a scan tool and activate a software patch to run an option Ford charges for in the build sheet isn't the same thing. And I think you might have to have new fobs for that to work too. since the standard fob doesn't have the button for it.

why - because it also doesn't have the button for the power lift gate. or the ones I saw for base model 2016's didn't have them. In fact I think it might have even had a standard key - but I could be wrong it's been a while.

but ford charges for remote start, with the technology package - that included the power liftgate and the foot jobbydo.
Buy your remote starter keys, then take it in. They did mine for free, and it took 20 minutes. And I have DO the liftgate button on mine. I cant speak for the 2016 because I dont know if the keys are like the 2015, but I would assume so for the sake of argument.

This beats paying the cost of the "remote start" option to the dealer.

There is an entire thread devoted to the remote starter here, and the guy who participates in it was extremely helpful about it.

A column shifter would be a big argument for me not to buy! I hate the looks of it and I always feel something missing in the middle console. But that might be because I'm originally from Germany and we just don't have that many vehicles with column shifters (mostly because of the tradition of having a manual transmission I'd guess).

Also, since having the '16 sport, I like the front with the grille a lot! The platinum on the other hand: I couldn't care less, nothing special. But use the Edge look? No way! For me personally the Edge looks like an Egg on wheels (not as bad as the Buick Enclave, but it goes in that direction) and actually, I think the front, at least the grill (with the bars) goes more in the 11-15 Explorer direction, why should the Explorer design go backwards?

Two things I definitely agree with: Make the gas tank bigger and switch every light to white (4300 or 6000) LEDs, that way I don't need to scratch my hands up replacing everything in my next explorer :)

Gotta agree. The column shifter is for limited option work trucks. I hope Ford doesn't listen to that one.

The quaint size of the gas tank does not bother me. I have taken two road trips and I usually have to refresh or relieve myself before the tank is empty anyway.

The F150 information display looks really neat - it even has a digital F150 there. I would have liked to see similar done to the Explorer models, at least the upscale Sport. Interior LED's would have been nice as well.

My major gripe is the power band from about 40-60 mph. This motor has major grunt, but when accelerating from this range, it seems lacking. Love the take-off power (oh especially with traction control off or sand mode) and love the 70 mph plus power. Something about the gearing in that range that just does not make sense.

Overall, I would not change much. So glad it does not look like the Edge / Escape, which are actually hard to make a distinction of the two at times. Tons of power, beautiful to look at, but the ride is really the best quality of this vehicle.

The column shifter needs to come back to the civilian world, WAY too much space is wasted on the center shifter. Fuel tank size needs to be a bit larger, mid range punch is needed so you don't have to hammer down to pass or short burst acceleration.

A column shifter would be a big argument for me not to buy! I hate the looks of it and I always feel something missing in the middle console. But that might be because I'm originally from Germany and we just don't have that many vehicles with column shifters (mostly because of the tradition of having a manual transmission I'd guess).

Also, since having the '16 sport, I like the front with the grille a lot! The platinum on the other hand: I couldn't care less, nothing special. But use the Edge look? No way! For me personally the Edge looks like an Egg on wheels (not as bad as the Buick Enclave, but it goes in that direction) and actually, I think the front, at least the grill (with the bars) goes more in the 11-15 Explorer direction, why should the Explorer design go backwards?

Two things I definitely agree with: Make the gas tank bigger and switch every light to white (4300 or 6000) LEDs, that way I don't need to scratch my hands up replacing everything in my next explorer :)

yes but you could re-arrange the console and have more space - from where the shifter box is located.

or go the push button route. I've seen that on a few cars recently and I don't mind it so much. I mean it's not like the platform is offered with a manual - so the "manumatic mode" is done with paddles behind the wheel anyway.

I don't know right off what I'd put in that space where the shifter would be - but I'm sure there's a good use somewhere.

G
My major gripe is the power band from about 40-60 mph. This motor has major grunt, but when accelerating from this range, it seems lacking. Love the take-off power (oh especially with traction control off or sand mode) and love the 70 mph plus power. Something about the gearing in that range that just does not make sense.

That's another thing I wondered about.

where's Ford's 8-10 spd tranny. they have them, have had them for a while.

it seems like both the ecoboost 6 and the base 6 could use from some extra gears - or rather wider gearing.

Wonder if this is going to be a 3 year run. I suspect in 2-3 year there will be a new - clean sheet ford explorer design. just like before that there will be a clean sheet Taurus redesign. and I expect both will end up with some AL unibody techniques.

yes but you could re-arrange the console and have more space - from where the shifter box is located.

or go the push button route. I've seen that on a few cars recently and I don't mind it so much. I mean it's not like the platform is offered with a manual - so the "manumatic mode" is done with paddles behind the wheel anyway.

I don't know right off what I'd put in that space where the shifter would be - but I'm sure there's a good use somewhere.
More storage space would be great. The two cupholders just don't cut it.

The different sizes of the cupholders annoy me and probably due to the shifter.

In regards to the new 2016 Explorer (Sport), can someone answer these questions for me?

1-Do the fog lights serve a real purpose since they are located so high up on the bumper? Pics?
2-Are there daytime running lights (LED)?
3-Does the hood have springs or just a kick stand?
4-Is torque steer still an issue? Has it been looked at?
5-How much has the suspension been adjusted by Ford?
6-When flicking the turn signal to change lanes, do you get more than 3 quick flashes? This has been annoying for me.
7-I noticed just 1 USB port in the compartment below the radio. Does an iPOD still connect to the radio using this port? Also, will it work with the USB in the center console arm rest and/or the new USB ports on the back of the center arm rest?
8-Has anyone had scratch/swirl issues with the piano black accents on the interior and exterior?
9-How does the tow package work? I didn't notice a cover that pops off on the rear bumper?
10-Has there been any adjustment to the rear spoiler? Mine's a dust magnet.
11-Is a front-facing camera standard?
12-Does the front passenger seat have memory settings?
13-Has Ford improved the heated/cooled seats? The backs never seem to work very well.
14-Ford lists the 2nd Row buckets as "power assist fold". What is this?
15-Is the 2nd row console easily removable?

hansenfarm

Have liked the looks of Explorers for several years, one of the reasons we went from Sable to Explorer.

Grew to like the 2016 Limited grille even better than earlier years . Its all a matter of taste I guess. So far (owned 6 weeks) very happy with the vehicle features and looks except for distance from ground to seat. Would like to find retracting running bourds but no one seems to build them.

Sable was well equipped but behind in features to our 2010 F150 Platinum which prompted our desire for a newer vehicle.

In regards to the new 2016 Explorer (Sport), can someone answer these questions for me?

1-Do the fog lights serve a real purpose since they are located so high up on the bumper? Pics?
2-Are there daytime running lights (LED)?
3-Does the hood have springs or just a kick stand?
4-Is torque steer still an issue? Has it been looked at?
5-How much has the suspension been adjusted by Ford?
6-When flicking the turn signal to change lanes, do you get more than 3 quick flashes? This has been annoying for me.
7-I noticed just 1 USB port in the compartment below the radio. Does an iPOD still connect to the radio using this port? Also, will it work with the USB in the center console arm rest and/or the new USB ports on the back of the center arm rest?
8-Has anyone had scratch/swirl issues with the piano black accents on the interior and exterior?
9-How does the tow package work? I didn't notice a cover that pops off on the rear bumper?
10-Has there been any adjustment to the rear spoiler? Mine's a dust magnet.
11-Is a front-facing camera standard?
12-Does the front passenger seat have memory settings?
13-Has Ford improved the heated/cooled seats? The backs never seem to work very well.
14-Ford lists the 2nd Row buckets as "power assist fold". What is this?

2. Order guide just shows, "Configurable DRL"
11. No. It is standard on the Limited and I believe the Platinum and in the Sport 401A package.
14. Power Assist Fold is a button that you can press to automatically fold the buckets and tilt them forward. Handy for getting at the 3rd row.

Peter

I wouldn't have considered the Sport for purchase if it had column mounted shifter. Personal preference from a long sports car history.

1-Do the fog lights serve a real purpose since they are located so high up on the bumper? Pics? Yes they will light below the area of the headlamps, they are purposly yellowish - for use in ACTUAL fog. other wise though you don't ever really need them. IMO.
2-Are there daytime running lights (LED)? Yes
3-Does the hood have springs or just a kick stand? prop rod, and it saves weight honestly.
4-Is torque steer still an issue? Has it been looked at? My XLT doesn't and neither sport I drove had a torque steer issue.
5-How much has the suspension been adjusted by Ford? sport vs non-sport - lowered a touch, stronger anti-sway, stiffer struts to go with stiffer springs, bigger better brakes
6-When flicking the turn signal to change lanes, do you get more than 3 quick flashes? This has been annoying for me. NO - 3 flashes, and this is incidentally an industry wide standard, DOT, MOT, DIN, and whatever Japan's is called have all made this the cert standard for lane change flash - as it's called.
7-I noticed just 1 USB port in the compartment below the radio. Does an iPOD still connect to the radio using this port? Also, will it work with the USB in the center console arm rest and/or the new USB ports on the back of the center arm rest? Don't know about the other 2, but yes there is one in the front console.
8-Has anyone had scratch/swirl issues with the piano black accents on the interior and exterior? 3 months and no issues yet - course I did wax it with a polymer bases polish - and I only apply by hand with straight lines.
10-Has there been any adjustment to the rear spoiler? Mine's a dust magnet. They all look the same to me
11-Is a front-facing camera standard? no optional, front parking assistance is - ie the beeping sonor system.
12-Does the front passenger seat have memory settings? no, unless optioned on a limited or above.
14-Ford lists the 2nd Row buckets as "power assist fold". What is this? Press a button and the seats motor down and over - as opposed to you doing it manually and lifting the lever and the strap.
no - if you mean easily as it toolless and swap out. Yes if you mean some minor time and minimal tools in the drive way.

I don't have a sport - but i drove 2 of them. I own an XLT 203A package. answers in Red.

I wouldn't have considered the Sport for purchase if it had column mounted shifter. Personal preference from a long sports car history.

I don't consider it a sports car, from a long sports car ownership history.

would you not have considered it with a push button and the paddles. since you know they all have the paddles.

and the floor stick doesn't do anything other than select a mode in the transmission computer - and I guess for a limited amount take it out of park.

(IE when the battery is deal the console shift lever is useless)

I'm with explosportguy. I would'nt have considered the vehicle either if it had a column mounted shifter. He didn't say or insinuate that the explorer was a sports car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Napalm, Thank you. Very helpful.

I'm currently looking at swapping in my lease for a new 2016 Sport. 401A, Dual Buckets, and Moonroof....

Back