what is premium sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is premium sound

jamienfld

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
When I got my 2001 exploere sport guy said in add that it had premium sound what is that? And also it has a pioneer deh 6500 cd deck installed. but the audio controlls in the rear are not working with it. is there anyway to hook them up to work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Premium sound is just a trim level for the audio system that was in there.

There is no way to get your rear radio controls to work with an aftermarket deck. (Or the factory CD changer, for that matter)

There is no way to get your rear radio controls to work with an aftermarket deck. (Or the factory CD changer, for that matter)

oh but there is with an aftermarket interface, mine has been working perfect for the past three years, it is basically is a second remote and copies the functions you want from your aftermarket deck remote. it has an infrared LED to transmit to the head unit (i mounted my IR LED inside the "tissue box" holder

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=118900&i=127SWIX&tp=3405

Premium sound is a pain in the ass when you want to upgrade your system. You have to buy different wire harnesses that are not usually carried in many local stores. (well atleast where I live) And you have to disconnect the factory amp in the back panel on the passenger side.

I had called Crutchfield when I was looking at that a few months ago and they said that it would not work with rear controls, only with the Limited steering wheel controls.

My suggestion- get another Pioneer remote off eBay and stick it to the rear console. :D

yea it's not advertised to work in the rear console but the pic they have of it is exactly the same as mine, it's a little bit of wiring to be done (you need to pull out the center console, armrest, and storage area) but it's a very nice convince. oh and for when you get annoyed by those in the back changing stations or songs, just block the IR LED with a piece of paper or drink and viola, no more rear seat controls.

Just clarifying here, but for the 98+ explorers, the amp for the premium sound is combined with the head unit, correct? So there would be no separate amp in the back of the car, right? This is how I interpreted the stickied post in this section of the forums.
If the above is true, then all I have to do to upgrade the stock headunit is to buy one that does 20w rms and a wire harness so no wires need to be cut, correct?
I have a 2000 XLT

yes- '95-'97 and a few '98's with the old connectors were amp'd from the rear. The rest of teh '98's and newer are amp'd on the head unit.

Back