What is the best way to replace the front bumper cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the best way to replace the front bumper cover?

QSturge

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
Hey,

I have a 2003 XLT. Lastnight it was about -5 degrees out and my girlfriend's father backed into the front left of my car and it made a large jagged crack in the plastic bumper cover. I took it to get an estimate and the guy told me it would cost about $1000.00 for the part, labor and paint. I was looking online and saw that the bumper covers only cost about $200.00 - $250.00 so I figured he could buy the bumper cover and then we'd fix it ourselves. I was just wondering what the best way to replace the bumper cover would be. I've read a few threads that said it was easier to take the whole bumper off first but the thread was not 2003 XLT specific. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard Q. The FSM shows the cover comes off w/o removing the bumper. It looks very straightforward actually, but I've never done it. $1000 seems way too high. I can send you a few pages from the manual if you PM your email address to me.

Welcome to the board.

Im sure the bumper cover is not that hard to remove.
Find a local body shop supply store and bring them the paint code.
They can make you a couple 14oz spray cans. about $15 each.
Get a couple cans of clear too.

Take your time, prep the bumper with some 600 wet sand paper
dry it thoroughly
do light coats until covered
same with the clear
and install
save yourself a whole bunch of money

Stick around too, lots of Explorer knowledge here...

its really simple actually to get the cover off . 20min job to get it off - couple of screws on the splash shield, which gets you to the 2 screws on each side holding the bumper cover up at the top, then a couple of bolts along the bottom, Lifts up and pulls out.
Junkyard?

Thanks guys.

Hey,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. It looks like we're definitely going to go the DIY route. I'm looking at a cover on ebay for about $150.00 with some shipping on top of that. My dad is checking junkyards around here to see if they have one. If we get really lucky maybe we can find one that's already blue. Thanks again and I'll post back on here when it all comes together.

-Q

Sounds good
we'd love to see pics of your progress :thumbsup:

Ok Q, since you got the info you needed, I'll post what popped into my head when I read your title... :D

Been a while since I've watched this classic...

Ok Q, since you got the info you needed, I'll post what popped into my head when I read your title... :D

Been a while since I've watched this classic...

Just stumbled upon this absolute classic!! I hope those idiots won a Darwin Award for that.

The car didn't look to be buried at all. Seems to me if those idiots grabbed a couple of shovels and put there dumb a$$es behind it, they could have gotten that thing out in no time!! Without hooking the tow strap to the bumper. :dunno:

Hey,

I have a 2003 XLT. Lastnight it was about -5 degrees out and my girlfriend's father backed into the front left of my car and it made a large jagged crack in the plastic bumper cover. I took it to get an estimate and the guy told me it would cost about $1000.00 for the part, labor and paint. I was looking online and saw that the bumper covers only cost about $200.00 - $250.00 so I figured he could buy the bumper cover and then we'd fix it ourselves. I was just wondering what the best way to replace the bumper cover would be. I've read a few threads that said it was easier to take the whole bumper off first but the thread was not 2003 XLT specific. Any information would be great. Thanks!
Wow I have the same exact problem not only same in the same spot but same color also. Now I'm thinking if u actually didn't sell this car back and abandon this project because I recently purchased this ST used at the dealership

04 Ford Explorer XLT

Hey,

I have an 04 Ford Explorer XLT and I am going to replace the front bumper also. Thanks for the break down of the placement of the screws. That is what would have been the difficult part. I am a little nervous, but I think I can do it. I am ordering the bumper from e-bay - found one for $85.00 from a guy with super good reviews. I didn't know that you would just have the body shop mix the paint. That is so much easier than having them paint it! Anyway, Thanks so much!

I recently had to replace the rear passenger side window and that was a pain because inside the door when the panel is removed, the window is held in by rivets. I think that is impractical. Every other car I've worked on has had normal bolts. After that, loosen the tracks and that was it!

Thanks!

Back