• Register Today It's free!

What is the most reliable engine?

oldprospector

Reaction score
City, State
Ukiah, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I am really curious as to what is considered the "best" engine, the 4.0 EFI, SOHC, DOHC or the V8. This would include reliability, maintenace and longevity ( will give the most miles for the buck ). I currently have a 91 with the 4.0 efi and a 97 with the efi engine but don't really know about the other engines and how the EFI stacks up against them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site

all the explorers use electronic fuel injection

none of the v6 explorers were dohc (not too sure on the most recent redesign - all prior to 03 at least)

there are 3 types (again, not too sure on the most recent redesign - all prior to 03 at least) 4.0l ohv, 4.0l sohc, 5.0l v8

due to different options, and that aside, i would personally say that as far as v6s go, the 4.0l ohv used exclusively in the 91-94 and also after that are the best and the v8 is good too

As far as motors go, both the OHV v6 and the 5.0 v8 are very reliable motors. The V6 OHV has a few bugs, like a weak flexplate, and is bolted to a pisspoor transmission(auto). The V8 has a good tranny, but a few flaws like exhaust manifold bolts that loosen up(that can be permanently fixed, however.) The V6 SOHC had problems with the cam chain (tensioners?) setup until 2000 I believe.

In 2002 the V8 was changed from a 5.0 to a 4.6

From what I know there are 4 different engines

V6 4l ohv
V6 4l sohc
V8 5l ohv
V8 4.6 (not sure)

I'm partial to the 4.0 OHV, 5.0, and the 4.6. Since ford has been using the 4.6 for over 10 years in other vehicles I'd say all the bugs are out of it.

Now when it comes to trannys the 4R70W used behind the V8s is the way to go. I've been :burnout: for years and never had a problem with it.

the 4.0 OHV is not just used in the 91-94's it was used up till 00'

the best motor's out there are the 5.0 and the 4.0 OHV..the 4.6 is a very good motor also

Best motor?

Thanks for the input but am still not sure as to what is the better of the available engines. So far it seems that the current opinion is they are all basically good and reliable, not sure if the lower gas mileage of the V8 is worth the extra power.
Have heard about an internal piston problem in the tranny used in the 4.0l V6 engines that has a tendency to develope a crack in it that allows pressure to leak past it and thus causes shifting problems. I guess the beefier tranny with the V8 gets around that.

jimabena74 said:
welcome to the site

all the explorers use electronic fuel injection

none of the v6 explorers were dohc (not too sure on the most recent redesign - all prior to 03 at least)

there are 3 types (again, not too sure on the most recent redesign - all prior to 03 at least) 4.0l ohv, 4.0l sohc, 5.0l v8

due to different options, and that aside, i would personally say that as far as v6s go, the 4.0l ohv used exclusively in the 91-94 and also after that are the best and the v8 is good too

Thats pretty misleading as well. All 4.0 l SOHC motors are also OHV. The main difference is cam placement. The sohc uses cam lobes to directly move the valves whereas the "OHV" motor uses pushrods. (I'm sure none of this is new to you, just explaining. The two (ohv and sohc) are not mutually exclusive. All main recent engines are OHV (within last 20-30 years).

The 4.0 OHV is a bullet proof motor....Mine still runs strong after 12 years....

a motor is electric.

a engine is not a motor. :)

My dad has reminded me of that for years, I always say "I am swapping motors" etc etc and he would correct me every time. Something about working with Elevators for so many years, a typical traction elevator uses an electric motor as the drive machine. A car (most cars) use an internal combustion gasoline engine, which in fact is not a motor. :)

Hows that for a little spice for this thread?

I agree that the 4.0L OHV is the most reliable ENGINE that came in the Explorer. That is not to say that the 5.0L is not reliable but the OHV 4.0L has the longest track record in the Explorer and we are not talking about transmissions, just engine's....so I vote OHV!!

The 2.9L prior to the OHV 4.0L was also very very reliable...they did have one weak point known as the TFI module....the OHV 4.0L is the 2.9L's big brother in a long line of Cologne 60 degree V6 engines....

410Fortune said:
a motor is electric.

a engine is not a motor. :)

My dad has reminded me of that for years, I always say "I am swapping motors" etc etc and he would correct me every time. Something about working with Elevators for so many years, a typical traction elevator uses an electric motor as the drive machine. A car (most cars) use an internal combustion gasoline engine, which in fact is not a motor. :)

Hows that for a little spice for this thread?

I agree that the 4.0L OHV is the most reliable ENGINE that came in the Explorer. That is not to say that the 5.0L is not reliable but the OHV 4.0L has the longest track record in the Explorer and we are not talking about transmissions, just engine's....so I vote OHV!!

The 2.9L prior to the OHV 4.0L was also very very reliable...they did have one weak point known as the TFI module....the OHV 4.0L is the 2.9L's big brother in a long line of Cologne 60 degree V6 engines....

I concur about the motor/engine. I'm usually correcting people as well and then look in my reply above and I butcher the correct usage!!

lol

410Fortune said:
a motor is electric.
motors can be hydraulic :)

At one point in time, I learned the technical difference between an engine and a motor, but I have long since forgot it. I thought it had to do with a motor needed an external source of energy, but that doesn't make sense since a engine needs an external chemical energy source.

Oh, and on topic, I have never had a problem with a Ford 4.0 OHV (cam in block).

you gotta remember though that standard maintence plays a big role in engine reliablility.
Yeah the SOHC's had their problems but whos to say that doesn't make it reliable in the long run? no one knows unless they've put 200k or so on their SOHC then they know hehehe :)

hydraulic motor :)
Then I guess it could be pneumatic, or oiladraulic (elevator term, funny because hydro = water yet hydraulic elevators use oil, so some companies call them oiladraulic) or anything that spins a rotor to drive something. :)

hahah in that sense the engine I guess could be called a gasoline and air driven motor :) hahahahaha
I'll see what my dad thinks about that one...

:)

I know of a 97 SOHC 4.0L that has over 180K on it, never had a single TSB or anything besides regular maintenece done to it....and of course there are 5.0L's with a bajiilion miles on them so maybe the answer should be "the majority of Ford power plants are very reliable. "

Back