• Register Today It's free!

What is the normal coolant temp?

Dgaunt

Reaction score
City, State
Bensalem, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer XLT
I just installed a new temp gauge and not sure what the normal running temperature is. My new gauge is hovering around 140 degrees. Can anyone tell me if that's the normal temp, or if it's not what should it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed a new temp gauge and not sure what the normal running temperature is. My new gauge is hovering around 140 degrees. Can anyone tell me if that's the normal temp, or if it's not what should it be?

Thats actually a bit low. Normal temp range from what I have learned is around the 195F range give or take. Have you checked the coolant level recently? Could be a possible thermostat stuck open. Have you opened the cooling system up recently? How did you determine 140 degrees?

Digital Gauge?

Yes it's a digital gauge, purchased off eBay. I think I got the wrong temp gauge. I'm actually goingv to be replacing the thermostat and all the hoses next weekend and hopefully get the right gauge.

Thank you for your reply.

195*

Factory motorcraft thermostat temp is 190 degrees. It costs a lot at about 25 dollars (in my piddly little town). That being said most people buy the 5 dollars or less thermostat with a temperature range of 195. I have seen some cheap ones that open at 198.

Back