• Register Today It's free!

What is there to a Lift ?

Lamah

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
i'd like to get a lift on my truck, but i dont know if i should get it installed or do it myself. I know it would be cheaper to do it myself. but what exactly do you have to do to install the lift ? i'm good with tools, but i've never really messed with cars much (i'm 15 and i bought an explorer that was too good of a deal to pass up) and i dont want to end up getting a whole new suspention. If someone could just explain what you have to do to get the lift installed, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Jeff A.k.a Lamah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't have a lot of experience with working on cars I recomend either finding someone who has the knowledge and is willing to help or paying someone to install your lift.

hrmm, sounds like a plan :) i do have some knowledge and i'd say i'm mechanically inclined, but i really dont want my car to be sitting on jack stands because i messed it up.

Thanks,
Jeff A.k.a Lamah

When in doubt, let someone else do it. Dead Link Removed

Body lifts a simple. They take a little while but are not worth paying an installation charge. I did my first lift on my 98 F-150, a couple years ago. I have to tell you that it is pretty nerve wracking. Jacks slipped and parts didn't fit. In the end it was a bada$$ truck. Since then, i have put on other 3" bodies that look great. It takes more than one person and about a whole day to get it done. Just make for sure once lifted that radiator hose is clear. Had a problem with that,and almost had a friend overheat an engine. I'm 19 now and started doing lifts when i got my license. Its great that you're starting early. You'll start to learn alot about cars.

i dont want to do a body lift, i want to do a suspention lift

In that case, I would definitly find someone who knows what they are doing. It can be done without paying someone else. It takes more time, (took me three days) and takes many types of tools. Make sure that you follow all directions exactly. But dont try to figure it out yourself, believe me. It seems easier than it really is! You can always get info and help from the 4wheelparts people.

Back