What is this button do?

TBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Prescott, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
OK, What does this button do? I've looked though the owner's manual a number of times and don't see any reference to it.

It's the one to the left of the emergency flashers button.

Attachments

• 7CBEA4CB-558C-4DF4-A75A-AD4109609A5A_1_201_a.jpeg
    7CBEA4CB-558C-4DF4-A75A-AD4109609A5A_1_201_a.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,516

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That turns on the parking aid. Don't know how to use it as I haven't tried it so far.

The sensors are on the front bumper.
The sensors are active when the transmission is in any position other than park (P). When the parking aid system sounds a tone, the audio system may reduce the set volume.
A warning tone sounds when your vehicle approaches an object. As your vehicle moves closer to an object, the rate of the tone increases.The warning tone continuously sounds when an object is 12 in (30 cm) or less from the front bumper.
Note: There is a decreased coverage area at the outer corners.
The system turns off when the vehicle speed reaches 5 mph (8 km/h).
Missing Image

The sensor coverage area is up to 28 in (70 cm) from the center of the bumper.
If the transmission is in reverse (R), the system detects objects when your vehicle is moving at low speed or an object is moving toward your vehicle, for example another vehicle at low speed. When you stop your vehicle, the audible warning turns off after two seconds.
If the transmission is in any forward gear, the system provides audible warnings when your vehicle is moving and an object is within the detection area. When you stop your vehicle, the audible warning turns off after two seconds and the visual warning turns off after four seconds.
If the system detects a fault, a warning message appears in the information display.
Object Distance Indicator
Missing Image

The system provides object distance indication through the information display.
  • As the distance to the object decreases, the indicator blocks illuminate and move toward the vehicle icon.
  • If there is no object detected, the distance indicator blocks are gray.
When you shift into any forward gear, the system provides audible warnings and visual indication when your vehicle is moving at a speed of approximately 5 mph (8 km/h) or below and the system detects an object within the detection zone. When you stop your vehicle, the audible warnings stop after two seconds and visual indication stops after four seconds.
Note: If the detected object is 12 in (30 cm) or less from your vehicle, visual indication remains on.
When you shift into neutral (N), the system only provides visual indication if your vehicle is moving at a speed of approximately 5 mph (8 km/h) or below, for example, your vehicle is moving on a slope, and the system detects an object moving toward your vehicle. When you stop your vehicle, visual indication stops after four seconds.

SIDE SENSING SYSTEM (IF EQUIPPED)

imagen2.dll
WARNING: The system may not detect objects with surfaces that absorb reflection. Always drive with due care and attention. Failure to take care may result in a crash.
imagen2.dll
WARNING: The system may not detect small or moving objects, particularly those close to the ground.
imagen2.dll
WARNING: To help avoid personal injury, always use caution when in reverse (R) and when using the sensing system.
imagen2.dll
WARNING: The parking aid system can only assist you to detect objects when your vehicle is moving at parking speeds. To help avoid personal injury you must take care when using the parking aid system.
The system uses the front and rear outermost parking aid sensors to detect objects that are near to the sides of your vehicle. The system displays them on a virtual map in the information display as your vehicle moves past them.
The sensors are on the front and rear bumpers.
Note: Keep the sensors free from snow, ice and large accumulations of dirt.
Note: Do not cover up the sensors.
Note: Do not clean the sensors with sharp objects.
Note: If your vehicle sustains damage leaving the sensors misaligned, this may cause inaccurate measurements or false alerts.
The system may not function if:
  • You switch the ignition on, off and back on within a few seconds.
  • Your vehicle remains stationary for over two minutes.
  • The anti-lock brake system activates.
  • The traction control system activates.
Note: If you switch traction control off, the side sensing system also turns off.
Note: Some accessories, for example large trailer hitches or bike or surfboard racks can cause reduced performance or false alerts.
To reinitialize the system, you may have to drive your vehicle approximately 10 ft (3 m).
Missing Image

The sensor coverage area is up to 24 in (60 cm) from the side of your vehicle.
When the system detects an object within the coverage area and the driving path of your vehicle, an audible warning sounds. As your vehicle moves closer to the object, the rate of the tone increases.
Note: The system does not detect an object that is moving toward the side of your vehicle, for example another vehicle moving at low speed, if it does not pass a front or rear sensor.
Object Distance Indicator
Missing Image

The system provides object distance indication through the information display.
  • As the distance to the object decreases, the indicator blocks illuminate and move toward the vehicle icon.
  • If there is no object detected, the distance indicator blocks are gray.
When you shift into reverse (R), the system provides audible warnings and a visual indication when detected objects are within 24 in (60 cm) and are inside the driving path of your vehicle. When you stop your vehicle, the audible warnings turn off after two seconds.
When you shift into any forward gear, the system provides audible warnings and a visual indication when your vehicle is moving at a speed of approximately 5 mph (8 km/h) or below and the system detects an object within the detection zone. When you stop your vehicle, the audible warnings turn off after two seconds and the visual indication turns off after four seconds.
When you shift into neutral (N), the system only provides a visual indication if your vehicle is moving at a speed of approximately 5 mph (8 km/h) or below. For example, your vehicle is moving on a slope, and the system detects an object moving toward your vehicle. When you stop your vehicle, the visual indication turns off after four seconds.
If the system is not available, the side distance indicator blocks do not display.

The symbol is shown on page 11 of the Owner's Manual in the Introduction section. As mentioned, it is for the Parking Aid.

Peter

OK, What does this button do? I've looked though the owner's manual a number of times and don't see any reference to it.

The symbol is shown on page 11 of the Owner's Manual in the Introduction section. As mentioned, it is for the Parking Aid.

Peter

Thank you all for the information, I had looked at all of the information, guess I missed the picture of the button😳
When you press it it turns the parking aid Off, it’s on by default.

I use the button to disable the park assist when I'm backing out of my garage and driveway. The garage is tight so all the sensors light up and the orchestra of alert tones drive me nuts. I know it defeats the purpose of the park assist feature but I know everything is clear around my vehicle unless the wind decides to blow a hockey net or garbage can in my path. I also had an issue where my exhaust vapors in the winter confused the rear sensors and slammed the brakes on when I was backing up. Using the button solved that issue.

Isn't that the park assist button?

Isn't that the park assist button?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Yes, and it has already been answered a few times in the posts above. Thanks.

Peter

I thought that button was for the destruction of modern civilization

I use the button to disable the park assist when I'm backing out of my garage and driveway. The garage is tight so all the sensors light up and the orchestra of alert tones drive me nuts.

I have a tight garage as well. I back into my garage. I don't have the automatic braking so that's not an issue for me.

when I am putting the car in the garage the alert tones remind me of those hospital scenes where the patient is on the heart monitor. when I get the car in all the way my car "flat-lines".

I use the button to disable the park assist when I'm backing out of my garage and driveway. The garage is tight so all the sensors light up and the orchestra of alert tones drive me nuts. I know it defeats the purpose of the park assist feature but I know everything is clear around my vehicle unless the wind decides to blow a hockey net or garbage can in my path. I also had an issue where my exhaust vapors in the winter confused the rear sensors and slammed the brakes on when I was backing up. Using the button solved that issue.
I also turn it off at the drive through windows as that sets mi e off as well

Back