2021 Explorer LTD 3rd row seat (Right side) won’t go back up… | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer LTD 3rd row seat (Right side) won’t go back up…

Reaction score
City, State
Azle, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer Ltd
(My seats do not tuck and stow- They power fold with a left, left + right, or right button and there’s a pull strap/loop on top of the seat shoulder I can pull and manually fold or pull the seat up. The left one works well, the left one works with button. The right one does nothing regardless if I push it up with my hand, loop strap, or button. No sounds. Nothing. Car has 11K miles on it. Worked just fine last week…? Anyone else’s doing this? What was the fix?

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It could be the seat's motor that has quit working. I don't see that there are any fuses shown for those seats. Probably best to take it to the dealer to have it checked out.

Peter

It's interesting that this member has a 3rd row seat that won't go up, and in the next thread a member has a 3rd row seat that won't go down. That member had a rear camera recall done. I wonder if this one did? I took mine in for a rear camera recall and they "fixed" it so that the 360 degree camera view is now gone. Perhaps its all a coincidence, but I'm not going to try putting my 3rd row seats up until these threads have more info about their resolutions

Ok thank you! I’ll take it in. I’ve only had this car two months. It was a demo and I hardly use the 3rd row. Bummer! I have to take it in for the camera recall anyways…
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It could be the seat's motor that has quit working. I don't see that there are any fuses shown for those seats. Probably best to take it to the dealer to have it checked out.

Peter

Please report back with the fix. Thanks.

(My seats do not tuck and stow- They power fold with a left, left + right, or right button and there’s a pull strap/loop on top of the seat shoulder I can pull and manually fold or pull the seat up. The left one works well, the left one works with button. The right one does nothing regardless if I push it up with my hand, loop strap, or button. No sounds. Nothing. Car has 11K miles on it. Worked just fine last week…? Anyone else’s doing this? What was the fix?

View attachment 424511
Welcome to the rear seat motor defect club!
I own a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer, 4.6L premier edition.
My left side 3rd row seat messed up and i replaced part, then later on the right side messed up.
The motor & mechanism assembly has a worm gear INSIDE that is made of plastic.
I've disassembled but no repair available, you must buy entire assembly for over $200.
Motorcraft does a 2 year warranty on official FOMO parts.
The knockoffs may save you 50 or 60 bucks, but dont always line up & motor/worm gear grind loudly.
What my local dealer told me was trying to raise the 3rd row seats with excess weight on them causes it to try and turn and wear away the gears!
Sometimes if you hold raise or lower button & try tug or push seat back you can get it to catch, mine lowered for-e-ver!
This pic is the mechanism that changes turns of electric motor to up/down winding of seat mechanism.
It was a pain, but possible.
I bought the entire motor mechanism (only way available).
I removed spare tire accessory cover exposing the bolts to the seat.
I removed all the bolts from there, theres also a few towards the front.
I removed entire assembly together.
I separated the left from right just wide enough to get at bolts mounting mechanism to upright & bottom.
Reverse...

16395090924202194714677328779592.jpg

It's interesting that this member has a 3rd row seat that won't go up, and in the next thread a member has a 3rd row seat that won't go down. That member had a rear camera recall done. I wonder if this one did? I took mine in for a rear camera recall and they "fixed" it so that the 360 degree camera view is now gone. Perhaps its all a coincidence, but I'm not going to try putting my 3rd row seats up until these threads have more info about their resolutions
Just a coincidence. I took mine for the recall camera "fix", still have the same issue.

My 3rd row is used a ton, kids and sports + dog = weekly usage. Have zero issues.

I also have a 21 limited that had the opposite issue. ( i think i actually posted on here about it) Right side was stuck up, button was not functional. I kept pulling and pushing trying to get it to go down. I finally gave up, the next day I went out to the car, pushed the button, heard a pop and then it started working. I have no idea what changed or why I had an issue at all. I have not had this issue since.

My next step was going to be disconnecting the battery overnight, maybe try that?

I also have a 21 limited that had the opposite issue. ( i think i actually posted on here about it) Right side was stuck up, button was not functional. I kept pulling and pushing trying to get it to go down. I finally gave up, the next day I went out to the car, pushed the button, heard a pop and then it started working. I have no idea what changed or why I had an issue at all. I have not had this issue since.

My next step was going to be disconnecting the battery overnight, maybe try that?
When you tried it before, was the engine running?
( Right side third row seat wont fold down. )

Peter

Both, I tried it with the car motor on and off

View attachment 424511
Update: so I went to dealership, there were tons of recalls and they replaced some relay thing and it fixed it :)

Update: so I went to dealership, there were tons of recalls and they replaced some relay thing and it fixed it :)
Does your invoice have a slightly better description of what was replaced or perhaps a part number? ;)

Peter

Thank you. Looks like they just did a software update and a 3rd-row seat 'relearn'.

Peter

Back