What is this connector and button? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this connector and button?

Post number 7 has been selected as best answered.

Chrisbo

Reaction score
City, State
Pleasanton, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer st
image.jpg
Anyone know what this is for on my 2020 explorer ST? I’m hopeful it is something to do with a brake controller.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The white connector is the OBDII port which is where diagnostic equipment is hooked up to. I just checked and the green button and wiring is not on our 2020 ST.:dunno:

The white connector is the OBDII port which is where diagnostic equipment is hooked up to. I just checked and the green button and wiring is not on our 2020 ST.:dunno:
Hmm. Thank you. Might have to ask the dealer.

Hmm. Thank you. Might have to ask the dealer.
Are in the correct Forum Chris? This is for the 2020-21 Explorer/Aviator. Your profile shows you have a 2010 Explorer.

Peter

Are in the correct Forum Chris? This is for the 2020-21 Explorer/Aviator. Your profile shows you have a 2010 Explorer.

Peter
That’s weird. I have a 2020 st.

View attachment 325145Anyone know what this is for on my 2020 explorer ST? I’m hopeful it is something to do with a brake controller.

I kind of doubt it has anything to do with a brake controller. They usually consist of a knob to adjust the trailer breaks. As so what it might be I have no idea. Looks extremely generic.

I kind of doubt it has anything to do with a break controller. They usually consist of a knob to adjust the trailer breaks. As so what it might be I have no idea. Looks extremely generic.
Apparently it is an alarm sensor that the dealer installed

Apparently it is an alarm sensor that the dealer installed

Why would they install something by drilling holes in the dash without asking you first.

Why would they install something by drilling holes in the dash without asking you first.

Still confused as what a button would have to do with the alarm. When would you press the button?

Still confused as what a button would have to do with the alarm. When would you press the button?

I agree, that is a crazy thing installed.

They don't care. We had a hole drilled through the dash of our 2004 Mach 1 from a dealer installed LED light. No alarm, just a continously flashing LED that was supposed to deter lot thieves.

I’ve no idea. I’ve never pressed it and don’t have anything to turn the alarm off. I guess it was for all the cars on the lot

I’ve no idea. I’ve never pressed it and don’t have anything to turn the alarm off. I guess it was for all the cars on the lot

You are obligated to resolve this mystery for the rest of us! :)

Press the button. If we dont hear from you shortly after we will send out the rescue squad.

You are obligated to resolve this mystery for the rest of us! :)

Press the button. If we dont hear from you shortly after we will send out the rescue squad.
I pressed it. Nothing happpened. Nothing at all. Felt like I was in an episode of lost.

I pressed it. Nothing happpened. Nothing at all. Felt like I was in an episode of lost.

So you are now filled with regret wasting 7 years of your life and are now in another life? I did not see this feature on available options on my build. :rolleyes:

Many dealers install aftermarket tracking/anti-theft devices on their lot vehicles. This gives the F&I person a chance to up sell the subscription service as an add on. The dealer gets a cut of the activation fee. The service mimics OnStar. My suggestion is you make the dealer remove it at their expense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back