what is this issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is this issue?

sam800

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi everyone....i have ford explorer 2008 xlt...and i had an issue which is first RSC service now ( roll stability control) and ckeck out by computer and gave me those codes :
p1891
p1867
p1825
c1233
c1155
the machanic said the main problem is pms(the computer of the car) and its expensive .....should i replace it or there is/are other problem regardless pms....the car doesnt response when the gear is on "D"

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PMS... funny, my car gets that too sometimes.
I believe that the mechanic meant the PCM (power control module). C1233 is the left front speed sensor signal missing, C1155 is left front speed circuit failure, P1825 is 4x4 clutch relay open circuit, P1867 is transfer plate circuit issue, P1891 is transfer case contact plate ground return open.
Now that we know what the DTC's mean I would say that you have 2 things that are an issue: 1 - you potentially have a bad left front hub that has caused the ABS tone ring and sensor to stop working correctly and therefore has triggered a fault in your RSC system. 2 - because of that the vehicle is trying to use the auto 4x4 feature of the vehicle to overcome what it considers to be two tires out of sync and cannot engage the transfer case into 4x4.
My thoughts are to first fix the left front speed sensor issue and then see if you still have the transfercase problems.

Just to add to this.... Check the wires going to the sensors!
I had several wires bare and touching each other at the Throttle Position Sensor and the car wouldn't respond to the gas pedal.

Agree with Flag Gibby, check the hub first. should be fairly cheap fix and you can do it yourself.

thank you all for reply.....im still confused the machanic said i can disconnect the sensor and the car will go normally....im thinking about the transfer case is the issue.
would you agree with me?

thank you all for reply.....im still confused the machanic said i can disconnect the sensor and the car will go normally....im thinking about the transfer case is the issue.
would you agree with me?

Which sensor?

I would say, no, just because you disconnect the sensor and it drives normal doesn't mean that it is then the PCM. If it was the PCM it would do it all the time no matter what. By disconnecting the sensor and the vehicle driving normal after that says that it is the tone ring on the inside of the hub assembly or the speed sensor cable that is the problem. It sounds like, to me, that if you replace the left front hub assembly then everything will be good again, this is assuming that you have a V8 explorer since the speed sensor cables rarely go bad.

PMS... funny, my car gets that too sometimes.
I believe that the mechanic meant the PCM (power control module). C1233 is the left front speed sensor signal missing, C1155 is left front speed circuit failure, P1825 is 4x4 clutch relay open circuit, P1867 is transfer plate circuit issue, P1891 is transfer case contact plate ground return open.
Now that we know what the DTC's mean I would say that you have 2 things that are an issue: 1 - you potentially have a bad left front hub that has caused the ABS tone ring and sensor to stop working correctly and therefore has triggered a fault in your RSC system. 2 - because of that the vehicle is trying to use the auto 4x4 feature of the vehicle to overcome what it considers to be two tires out of sync and cannot engage the transfer case into 4x4.
My thoughts are to first fix the left front speed sensor issue and then see if you still have the transfercase problems.

Dear Flag Gibby, can you advise what code C144 mean? It also said "Pressure Difference Brake". The mechanic suggested to change the Module and Control with the new ones. Both expensive. It is Ford Explorer 2008.

Back