What is this part underneath, all rusted. (pic) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this part underneath, all rusted. (pic)

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
The other day I was checking my spare tire assembly underneath, and noticed there was a lot of rust under that area. One spot where there are 2 plastic boxes ( I think they have something to do with the evap system for the fuel tank) the tray that was supporting them was completely rusted out, and I had to resort putting wire ties to hold the assmebly in place.
I noticed a solenoid of some sort connected to these boxes. Any know what this is and what it does?

7BDE7DC6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are correct. It is part of the evap system as far as what they do I think one is a char coal canister and the other I have no idea. Some one with better knowledge than me is sure to chime in.

Thats the charcoal canisters for the fuel vapors. You will notice two vent hoses and a sensor attached to it.

The brackets are known to go, most people just zip tie them up in place. I believe in 2000 they switched it over to a plastic tub to hold everything in instead of the steel piece.

Sorry, your exactly right on your assumptions, I knew exactly what you were talking about without reading your post or even looking at the photo, lol.

It is part of the evap system and you did what everyone else does, zip tie it up there and no more problems.

This worries me a bit. I've been driving without the spare under the truck and my truck is rusted. Possible that I may have lost this..?

This worries me a bit. I've been driving without the spare under the truck and my truck is rusted. Possible that I may have lost this..?

You should be more concerned about driving around without a spare.

If anything the spare helps support the canisters, and takes most of the abuse from the salt/corrosion while shielding the rest of the area by the charcoal canisters. Without the spare, the area is wide open for salt/corrosion to get up there.

Thats the charcoal canisters for the fuel vapors. You will notice two vent hoses and a sensor attached to it.

So what does the sensor do? If it goes, what happens?

Back