What is up with Motor Trend? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is up with Motor Trend?

giving me free ****.

Hey thats all well and fine Capt. Cornhole but i don't want anyone elses free ****. i have my own, daily actually.....usually after my first cup of coffee. now a free shirt i'll take.

I like your witty style son :thumbsup: you boys north of the border crack me up :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In all honesty, I've been quite happy with MFT as well. (Now I've jinxed myself and MFT will die on the way home tonight for sure!)

I am not stressing it out in any way, not using USB, etc. Just normal radio/nav/phone/HVAC stuff. Bluetooth audio works great with Pandora or stored music on my phone. Voice commands work fine. Response time on the keypad could be better but it's well within acceptable limits. So far so good. It's 2.11 with late Sept 2011 build date.

Thanks EH!

Hey thats all well and fine Capt. Cornhole but i don't want anyone elses free ****. i have my own, daily actually.....usually after my first cup of coffee. now a free shirt i'll take.

I like your witty style son :thumbsup: you boys north of the border crack me up :p:

It all comes from a good education and intelligence. Canada was just voted in as the best place in the world to live and work(Polled 50,000 people from around the world. Intellectuals) Canada was seen to have the best government, legal system, health care and just overall nice guy appeal. I hope y'all down south get your **** straightened out someday. We also have a great sense of humour or humor for you yanks. Oh yes, we have great hockey players, really pretty women ( english and french ) and we usually score higher on apptiude and good looks. Don't forget about our cheese. I love americans for their straight F you attitude and rudeness. It goes along way improving the worlds outlook on the US. It really is sad to see it all crumbling and falling apart. Maybe Mit Romney can sort it out. Or you could bring back George W. He was a genius after all. Gave us all a good laugh. If you ever get a chance look up " Rick Mercer, Talking to Americans" on google and watch some of the clips. He actually gets some Floridians to say " Hello Canada, our neighbours to the south." Hilarious ****. How high is the failure rate anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

I love americans for their straight F you attitude and rudeness. It goes along way improving the worlds outlook on the US. It really is sad to see it all crumbling and falling apart.

Hehehe! You guys do have a sense of humor!!!

Was in BC last September doing some photography work....pretty nice area. Hope the oil boys don't screw it up...sigh.

ya i'm in BC every summer when i visit my folks who live on the US side of the boarder. i love that part of the country, especially vancouver. canadians are without a doubt the nicest folks i've ever had the pleasure of meeting. thats why i find it so sad that they're not very bright :D

Keep it civil boys.......

Clearly Sir you have mistaken witty banter for some sort of nasty tiff. it's all good in the hood boss man :thumbsup:

Clearly Sir you have mistaken witty banter for some sort of nasty tiff. it's all good in the hood boss man :thumbsup:

It's just my job to keep the peace..I err on the side of caution. I thought it might be just some good natured poking, but as I said..it's my job..

Carry on!!

It's just my job to keep the peace..I err on the side of caution. I thought it might be just some good natured poking, but as I said..it's my job..

Carry on!!

Just keep a sharp eye on the crazy canuck…..I believe he intimated Canadians were more advanced than Americans in a variety of areas. i think he’s had too much baby seal meat lately which has caused some hallucinations.

O

So my two week observations support the disappointment reflected in the MT piece.

-The V6 is a dog, zero get up and go……shockingly underpowered for such a vehicle. And the ***** of it all is that I can’t hit 17 mpg in mixed use easy driving. Neither my wife and I are lead foots.

-The plastic pillar pieces are a disaster. How could they make such design mistake? I don’t care how careful one is with their vehicle….they will scratch….PERIOD!!!!

-Fit and finish…..the rear tailgate does not align properly. And as it has been well documented I’m far from the only one. The black plastic around the lower portion of the entire vehicle is a cheap out. Fortunately our Ex is black and hides it for the most part.

-Rain noise……are you kidding me Ford. Did you not test for this. Nor did you obviously correct the known problem from 2011 to 2012. it sounds like we’re getting pelted by thousands of tin cans during a rain storm.

-The interior is nice enough, however I would like to understand how the vehicle is so roomy that I can’t rest my arm on the window (I’m 6’3”) but my right knee gets pushed against the hard edge of the center consol causing a constant annoying discomfort. Should be a blast on our 3+ hour road trips to Disney World.

-It must also be worst in class leg room for the 2nd row passenger behind the driver with driver seat all the way back. To my surprise and dismay there is less room here then in the Mazda CX9 we sold to get the Ex.

-Safety……The one cool thing that works great. I truly dig the blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, cross path warning and all the other safety features…..BRAVO on this aspect Ford. Its one thing you got right and seems to work.

-“IVT”…….how on gods earth can there not be a TPMS status in the vehicle monitoring system? How can other less expensive and tech inferior vehicles from other car companies have this and not the Ex? This includes other info like oil pressure and temp, tranny temp, etc. etc. etc.

-“MFT”……so cool and yet so upsetting. I’m not going to rant further and get my blood pressure up but it went nuts on us less then 2 days after taking delivery and has been unstable ever since.

Sorry…….but MT pretty much got it right. In fact, I wish I listened and convinced my wife to get the Durango.

It's no fun when the vehicle doesn't live up to your expectations.

I appreciate your candid comments. I note that a few (rain noise, and in theory fit and finish, with optical robots) have been dealt with, and I anticipate the MFT software issues will be substantively dealt with in the next six months.

In my test drive (you've driven more than me though) the Ex didn't seem like a sports car, but didn't seem that slow either. I wasn't terribly pleased with second row spacing, but I didn't find it to be a disaster either.

As for your comment about having preferred a Durango, I actively looked at that option. The Durango had a number of reported problems of its own, including transmission, overheating, and stalling. I chose the Ford problems (in the belief that the major one - MFT is fixable and would be fixed) over the Dodge problems that involved transmission and engine. Also, at least in my case, Durango cost about $2-3K more.

Do you guys get rain noise constantly when driving in rain conditions ?. I get the occassional "ping" type noise when I'm sitting under hydro wires or overhanging trees and it seems like a big drop of rain hits the roof. But when I'm just driving through a rain storm I don't get very much roof noise. I can't say the roof noise bothers me as it seems to happen very intermittently and at very low amounts.

You guys are a hoot eh! I'm not sure if you watched the videos or not. However, I'm sure there is quite a bit of editing done. Not everyone south of the border is like that. I met some of them while on tour in Afghanistan. Stand up soldiers each and everyone of them. I thank them for carting my ass around Afghanistan getting me where I needed to go be that by air on pounding the ground. 101st Air Borne were awesome. Thanks to all my American Army friends. I have alot of respect for them and what they do.

By the way, when the chips are down and your in all the way. It doesn't matter where your from. Just who's on your left and who is on your right, and wether they have your back. Just like the relationship between our two countries.

I get the ping sound every now and then. But like you, hardly at all. If your from Florida though, they get rain drops the size of small elephants. So they would probably hear it a little more than us. Snow on the other hand doesn't make any noise at all. So here in Canada I don't have to worry about the noise for 11 months a year. I sure do like the heated seats when I run out of my igloo in the morning to go to work....... LMAOSHIDMBSASMWBL.....Laughing My Ass Off So Hard I Dropped My Baby Seal and Spilled My Whale Blubber Latte.

ya i'm in BC every summer when i visit my folks who live on the US side of the boarder. i love that part of the country, especially vancouver. canadians are without a doubt the nicest folks i've ever had the pleasure of meeting. thats why i find it so sad that they're not very bright :D

I do like Canada too.
My wife and I go to Vancouver, Niagara on the Lake, and Ontario............

even went to Edmonton...but was not all that crazy about it.

Heck, my grandparents were from Newfoundland, and moved to San Francisco.

Out of curiosity, what does the Durango have over the Explorer? And don't compare the Hemi Durango to the Explorer. I mean V6 Durango vs V6 Explorer.

Yea, what does the Durango have over the Explorer? And don't bring up the Hemi engine, and don't bring up the much higher towing capacity, and don't bring up the higher grade interior materials, and don't bring up the better off road capability, and don't bring up the fact you can hear yourself think when its raining. I'll have to think if theres anything else that should not be brough up.

So back to the MT article.

I question the validity of any review that is either all positive or all negative. I understand that any vehicle, including BMW, will have complaints of some kind or features some people don't like but saying the whole vehicle is bad is way over the top for me. Is it because it doesn't do 0-60 in 5 seconds? Who buys a SUV looking for 0-60 times? If the thing can haul **** from A-B safely and get fairly decent mileage it should be good in my book. If you want a performance "suv" get a SRT8 or the new CTSV wagon. We wanted something with three rows so this fits the bill. Maybe I'll have gripes when I pick mine up on Monday and I'll fairly report them. Hell, even my first car a 85 Nissan Pulsar wasn't all bad. With only 69hp it wouldn't go 85 keeping me from killing myself.

Yea, what does the Durango have over the Explorer? And don't bring up the Hemi engine, and don't bring up the much higher towing capacity, and don't bring up the higher grade interior materials, and don't bring up the better off road capability, and don't bring up the fact you can hear yourself think when its raining. I'll have to think if theres anything else that should not be brough up.

The Hemi engine is more powerful than anything the Explorer has. That's a given. If you want power, speed, and towing, there's no question the Durango has an advantage over the Explorer. My question was (perhaps poorly worded), for those of us who are not interested in power, speed, or towing (or off-road for that matter, a claim that is debatable but I don't care about), what does the Durango have over the Explorer?

Out of your list, that leaves "higher grade interior materials", which is pretty subjective.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Hemi engine is more powerful than anything the Explorer has. That's a given. If you want power, speed, and towing, there's no question the Durango has an advantage over the Explorer. My question was (perhaps poorly worded), for those of us who are not interested in power, speed, or towing (or off-road for that matter, a claim that is debatable but I don't care about), what does the Durango have over the Explorer?

Out of your list, that leaves "higher grade interior materials", which is pretty subjective.

Speaking for myself, I preferred the Explorer's 6 speed transmission, and the fact that it was a manu-matic (although I'm not thrilled with how the implemented this) and downshift if I needed fast acceleration.

I liked the exterior look more (subjective) and I recognized that 80+% of my driving was highway/road and light towing, so I didn't need a truck based SUV. I liked the electronic safety features and dash display, my wife will ADORE the auto parking feature.

The Ex is more a dressed up mini-van, for my purposes. If I were doing a lot more off-road, or heavy towing, I might well have chosen Durango instead.

Back