What is your MPG? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is your MPG?

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
I have seen many posts with a couple of mentionings of people's mpgs, but I wanted to see if I could get them all in one post so I can do some comparing. I have a '95 EB 4.0 EFI with 95K and for years I got 14.7-14.9 MPG(range about 320). For about 6 months, this has slowly fallen to 13.6(range about 290). I drive about 50/50(highway/city). My dad has an Expedition and F150, both heavier and bigger engines, and he gets about 17-19 mpg in both of them. That seems strange to me!
Please post what you get
Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '96 EB's mileage is between 15 and 17 mpg combined or about 300-mile range. But when I drive in the city, where I tend to have a lead foot, I can get as low as 11 mpg. It sucks.

I have a stock '94 XLT with 3.73 gears, and around town i get 11-12 mpg (thats with a light foot too!) and 20 mpg on long highway trips.

-ken :usa:

My best has been 32 MPG. Take a look at Dead Link Removed for the details.

al, does Jack buy his bean seeds where you buy your gas? It seems eveyone is smiling ear2ear if they get 20-22 on highway, but you get 30-32 by taking roof rack off, rolling windows up, and polishing it. I got 32mpg with my Honda Civic. More power to you! Congrats!

Speaking of gas, I have always heard that engines are designed for a particular octane level, and if your OM doesn't suggest high grade, you're ok with low grade. Has anybody seen a descent improvement with higher grade gas?

16-18 in city22-24 higway on good ol 87 octane.

12 city 15-16 highway. 98 sport 4.0 sohc

Originally posted by morrisey0
al, does Jack buy his bean seeds where you buy your gas? It seems eveyone is smiling ear2ear if they get 20-22 on highway, but you get 30-32 by taking roof rack off, rolling windows up, and polishing it

There is a bit more to it than what you listed. Driving technique is also a major factor.

Can't wait to test it with the new lowering installed.

i have found that getting a new air filter increses MPG by a mile or 2

Audio_1 - you mean K&N? or another type? I have heard K&N is only any help at top end.....racing....pulling.....rooting.......not any good with daily driving. T or F?

11mpg city...

I've had friends with blown 350s, 351s, even big blocks in their muscle cars get 9-10 mpg, and our technically advanced SUVs get only 11-12 around the city. Why does it seem our Xs are behind the curve for acceptable fuel consumption?

My MPG

I've got a '94 2dr 4x4 with a magnaflow exhaust, i'm lucky if I get 15 in town. It goes up to around 17 on the freeway.

Best I have ever gotten was 20-21 on a three hour trip at 55-60MPH. At 80MPH I get 15-16 and about 13MPG city. If you ever looked at the exhaust on your EX, you will see all the emmissions crap meant to help the atmosphere but kill gas milage. Mine has four Cats, and dual in 2 1/4 single out 2 1/4 exhaust explain that huh.
Can anyone say RESTRICTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My overall average is 16.2 after a bit more than two thousand miles. (city and highway combined)

16 city/21 highway in my '94 Sport... That's with a Superchip, 93 octane, and a drilled airbox.

My 95 gets about 16 in town and 21 on the highway. I've taken the roof rack off, and that's as far as I've gone with mods to it. Range is around 300 to 410. it's got the 3.73 and the slushbox.

My old '76 Chevelle with it's dinky (for a 4200lb car) 305 (5.0L) V-8 and 2 barrel carburetor would manage 16 in town and 18 on the road with basically 1960's technology. and it would blow my X's doors off in any race on pavement. :D

My other old car an 86 Pontiac 6000 got around 17 in town and up to 26 on the highway. I usually averaged 23 in it. Unless you were at highly illegal speeds(top end was 115), then it'd get 14.

And like Al said, it's all in how you drive it. Short trips will drop the MPGs as well as heavy traffic, and excessive speed will too. these Explorers were designed to cruse at 65 mph not 75 or 80.

i HAVE A 2001 V8 awd AND IM LUCKY IF I GET 8-10 MPG IN THE CITY... and i would say 15-17 hwy.... Ya, sucks i know.. but my truck eats up the beach =)

Mike

Sometime within the next 30 days or so, my parents will be getting me a car. My question is what do you guys with '97+ 4dr V6 4x4's usually get around town and on the highway (my college commute would be 40miles round trip)? This would be a big help. Thanks a bunch.

-ken :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

opps, i correct myself

i was meaning if you start to get worse and worse MPG it most likely is your air filter has goten real dirty and getting a new one should help.

Back