What kinda power loss with 3.73s and 32s, or 33s? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kinda power loss with 3.73s and 32s, or 33s?

I would really like to get a set of 32s or 33s, when the body lift is done, but I have to have power still, I have to tow my boat on the weekend (3800 pounds), and a mustang drag car every tuesday to the track, (3400 pounds) and I pull trough some hills too, so I was wondering what kinda power loss am I gunna have with 3.73 gears and a set of 32s or 33s, is it gunna be really bad? I have 31s on there right now, and its ok I guess, not the best but ok, I have the 5 liter in there too..so any input will be helpfull..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 3.73s and 32's and have a 4.0/auto.

The things I noticed the most are when I'm at a dead stop and take off it is much slower with 32 inch tires. Another, possibly more important thing I noticed is that when I accelerate from 30mph on, the torque converter is more likely to unlock to free up additional power that was not needed before with 30" tires to acccelerate. Obviously, this is bad because it results in more tranny heat and wear and tear.

I have that setup (32's) and its okay. I plan on going with 33s next so it can't be all that bad, right? I tow my boat (18' Natique) and a 200 gallon slurry tank with no problems. I'd recommend my setup to any 5.0er.

I have 33s, a 3.73 axle ration and a manual transmission. The best way I can explain the power loss is that my gears have gone up one. First has become second, second has become third and so on.

I have 33s, a 3.73 axle ration and a manual transmission. The best way I can explain the power loss is that my gears have gone up one. First has become second, second has become third and so on.

i have 32s and 3.27 gears with a manual trans...and i totally agree. its like always loking for a lower gear, but i still have some pickup.....i whooped a blazer 2wd the other day!

i have 33's and 3:73 gears and a 4.0 and i didnt see hardly any difference on take off power. but highway say 60 mph on trying to accelerate it has lost alot. but i think i could still pull a boat ok. i think u would be fine with a 5.0 if you have any doubt just go with 32's like sections his looks awesome.

Back